Proper equipment to get this effect at night?

vern_jensen1

<p>Those 622s look quite useful, and since they go for little money these days I might pick one up to play with. I probably won't find a bare-bulb head for one, but a standard zoom or reflector head will do. I already have a fleet of AZ3600s and the shoulder power pack I have looks as if it'll also fit the 622.</p>

<p>Incidentally Ian, I own both a Metz 60CT-4 and a 60CT-2. They're in good condition, and neither of them has a true GN of 60. Try as I might to get a different result, measuring with 4 different flashmeters and verifying the exposure readings with DSLR histograms, the GN (metres/100ISO) I get is stubbornly between 44 and 45. It's true they have a fair amount of power, but most of it is wasted in an inefficient reflector. It's only when you bounce the flash that the extra power tells.</p>

<p>Historically, <strong>all</strong> flash manufacturers have lied about their Guide Numbers to the extent of at least one stop, and Metz are no exception. I don't know what's in the ISO/DIN specification or methodology that lets them get away with it, but it's time a stop was put to such nonsense. Any photographer who's had to deal with this inflated GN crap over the years just divides the stated GN by 1.4, or opens up an extra stop and gets on with it.</p>

<p>Back in the film days there was high-intensity/short duration reciprocity failure to blame the discrepancy on. Now, however, with digital sensors there's no hiding place for flash-makers' hyperbole. The game's up chaps! You've been lying to us for years.</p>

<p>Oh! I nearly forgot the point of this post. I checked out the exposure needed to completely blow out the grass on my lawn at night to white. All it took was f/4 and 1600 ISO with a (true) GN30 speedlight. The flash reached down my garden to correctly light a tree 50ft away. If you look at the OPs linked pictures you can see distinct chroma noise in the shadows. In fact a bit more than I could see in my 1600 ISO shots. So I strongly suspect that a high ISO was used with a not-so powerful flash.</p>