Can LV on the D600 show actual exposure?

chuck

The LV on my second hand D600 seem to automatically adjust the gain to show the same exposure regardless of the exposure

compensation or the actual exposure of the image. Is there a way to set the LV to show the actual exposure as set?

<blockquote>

<p>"Is there a way to set the LV to show the actual exposure as set?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Basically, no!</p>

<p>Chuck, I believe that your D600 has a similar LV performance to that of my D7200. This means that the LV image shows pretty much the same brightness regardless of light level or exposure settings. Also there's a disclaimer in the manual that LV metering may result in a slightly* different exposure from viewfinder metering.</p>

<p>The only control you have over LV image brightness is to use exposure compensation - but only within a +/- 3 stop range. Beyond that the LV image doesn't respond to exposure compensation changes. This works in all PASM modes and with Auto ISO turned off or on. Although in manual mode the LV preview may look nothing like the actual exposure and you simply have to rely on the meter indicator bars as a guide.</p>

<p>That's not to be confused with the separate monitor "brightness" control. This is really a contrast control and doesn't affect the amount of shadow or highlight detail shown on screen.</p>

<p>* IME for <em>slightly</em> read <em>completely</em>.</p>

<p>Hmm, I realize one could always take a test shot. But it seems to me that LV is of little added value to still photography if it can't preview of final exposure before the shutter click.<br>

One more question. D600 seems to not always exposure for something like neutral average density in A and S modes. For example, shots taken with recommended exposure after sunset is distinctly underexposed overall, with the curve squeezed to the left, as if the camera knew it was dark out and tries to mimic what the eye sees with its exposure. D810 doesn't do that.<br>

Is there a setting on the D600 that is doing this, or is it a faulty meter?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The value for live view is to fine tune focus manually, preferably when the camera/lens is on a tripod. Additionally, with live view, you can potentially hold the camera high or low, with your eye away from the viewfinder, especially when you have an articulated LCD on the back.</p>

<p>I would never use the image on the back LCD to judge exposure, regardless of whether it is a live view image or an image review after the capture. You can manually brighten up or darken the LCD image, leading to inaccurate results. I once talked to John Shaw (author of many photography books). He says he only uses the LCD image to judge composition, never exposure. The proper tools to judge exposure are the histograms, with help from blinking highlights/zebra patters for highlights.</p>

<p>With proper Expose-to-the-Right technique, an image on the LCD can look very over-exposed, but as long as no important area is totally blank white without details, it is easy to adjust such images back to proper exposure. In fact, that kind of "overexposure" is preferred.</p>