<p>I am in the process of setting up a color-calibrated environment: Monitor, Printer, if needed Camera too.<br /><br />While talking to local the X-rite dealer, he suggested the only 'true calibratable' monitor is Benq PG 240.<br /><br />I found it is pretty pricey.<br /><br />Is it true, this is the only one and no alternative affordable one ?</p>

<p>He either doesn't know what he's talking about or just trying to sell you what he has.<br>

I think there is a less expensive Benq (2700??) and the NEC Spectraview PA and the Eizo (which are more expensive). The hardware calibration/built-in LUTs add significant cost and in the case of the PG240, I'd bet there is a significant adder $$ for the FOGRA certification (which isn't needed).</p>

<p>Thank you all.<br /><br />I am not very conversant with calibration.<br /><br />I assume, that there should be extra hardware attached inside the mechanism of the Monitor which will communicate with the calibration gadget and software, which makes these few series of few models special as "calibratable" and thus costly.<br /><br />And Andrew Rodney was telling Benq PG240's technology is superior, hence it is more costly. Right?<br /><br />Now, to start with at a minimal cost, same time without sacrificing the very cause of calibrating process, can I buy a Monitor, VFM one, if it is existing at all, please ? <br /><br /></p>

<p>Thank you all.<br /><br />I am not very conversant with calibration.<br /><br />I assume, that there should be extra hardware attached inside the mechanism of the Monitor which will communicate with the calibration gadget and software, which makes these few series of few models special as "calibratable" and thus costly.<br /><br />And Andrew Rodney was telling Benq PG240's technology is superior, hence it is more costly. Right?<br /><br />Now, to start with at a minimal cost, same time without sacrificing the very cause of calibrating process, can I buy a Monitor, VFM one, if it is existing at all, please ? <br /><br /></p>

<p>I don't know the details of this Benq. But some higher end reference display systems from NEC (SpectraView) and Eizo provide calibration in the high bit panel itself, not on a LUT on the video system. Plus there is control over multiple calibration targets and ICC profiles on the fly. One size calibration doesn't fit all.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Slightly different explanation: Only a few *monitors* can be calibrated using sophisticated internal electronics (NEC, Eizo, a Benq or two, a Dell or two). <br>

But fear not! If you get a 'regular' monitor, you can still calibrate *the video system* which is how 99% of people (those people without an NEC or Eizo) do it. The calibration system knows how to talk to the video card in your computer (which tehn attaches to the monitor) and it performs a 'software' calibration on the video card. While not as ultimately flexible as the hardware type, it's really quite good.</p>

<p>BenQ are well known for their gaming monitors in recent years, with their XL series being very popular in the gaming community. They also have a wide range of more general and office-type monitors available in their EW and GW series which again have been very popular. Now BenQ are looking to expand into other areas with their Pro Graphics (PG) series, bringing with it a range of high-end features designed for colour critical work and<a href="/digital-darkroom-forum/<a%20href="http:/shiromaniakalidalofficial.blogspot.com">Shiromani%20Akali%20Dal"> professiona</a>l users. </p>