Nikon Wednesday 2015: #50

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>:<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three images per week, so share some work!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What are we to do with these fancy Nikon cameras and lenses, if not to put them to work as part of solving important real-world problems? I've always been a more visual guy when it comes to math, so when we were down to our last piece of leftover chicken parmesan from an entree clearly meant for several people, I was curious just how much surface area we were dealing with. One thing leads to another, and here it is Nikon Wednesday.<br /><br />Remember when your math teacher told you to "show your work" on those word problems? Feel free to mark up your image this week, with any valuable or ridiculous additions that can show us how you were thinking at the time. Or not! Mostly, just take a moment out of this busy month and share a photo or two. Looking forward to them as always.</p><div>00ddYD-559762584.jpg.2fa3c25879282cf289a47af624dffdda.jpg</div>

<p>Steve J Murray - love your photo. What a peaceful and charming image. </p>

<p>For me, we've had a ton of rain, so I hauled out a lesser camera to brave the elements. Funny how former top-notch gear is casually exposed to the weather because it's so cheap to replace if needed. Despite the steady drizzle the N8008S kept right on humming along.</p>

<p>Raindrops "spoil" this picture, but it does add to the feeling of wetness.</p><div>00ddav-559771984.jpg.c10bb8c2340b286c1de46935937affa9.jpg</div>

<p>Forget the maths Matt, you've made me hungry! So here's the lunch I'm about to eat. The sandwich filling is peppered smoked salmon with an orange-mustard sauce garnish if anyone's interested.</p>

<p>Tech info: D7200 + kit 18-140mm lens + bounced on-camera I-TTL speedlight.<br>

Now excuse me while I eat.</p><div>00ddbL-559773084.JPG.55897e8baa4652e6e3f59c862468895c.JPG</div>

<p>OK I've now eaten and have time for some maths.<br>

I used the "magic wand" tool to outline the sandwich and tomatoes, and then flood-filled the resultant area with red. The histogram tool tells me I have 161,613 red pixels out of a total of 334,560. This means that 48.3% of the frame area is edible - correction <em>was</em> edible.</p><div>00ddbO-559773184.JPG.d54c150ba6c81fe544b10159fec1145b.JPG</div>

<p>Many of you recognize the spot - Half Dome in Yosemite. The pic was taken from Olmstead Point and with quite a bit of magnification (roughly 5 miles away). What you see is a 120% of the original....actually, pretty nice photo. As is, I figure it would print (measuring on the screen) 30x48"....that's my math and I'm sticking to it. Oh, and if your eyes are playing a game on you....there is a person standing on the diving board at the top of H. Dome.</p>

<p>Les</p><div>00ddf2-559781584.jpg.4ac957c26a425314dae6b7d6c8caf78a.jpg</div>