Canonet 17 (S) wiring

westphoto

<p>I'm repairing a Bell & Howell / Canon Canonet 17 (I think it's the same as a Canonet S, just sold under B&H). Started with going in to un-stick the aperture and shutter blades, and found on my way in that one of the wires had been cut in a previous repair. I've replaced that wire. I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with the circuitry in the lens. I have one wire that was previously intact that goes to the flash plug. Then I have this repaired wire that goes through a switch to the black cable on the CdS sensor. I'm assuming the red wire on the other side of the CdS is going to some variable resistor action coupled with the shutter speed. Is that right, and is there a way that I can test that the red connection is good without getting all the way to it? I was essentially one step away from that, down to just the timing segment of the lens, but I'd rather not take it 100% apart. Assuming that is what's happening with that red wire, where does the other end of this resistor setup go?</p>

<p>Well I went ahead and took that one step. The red wire connected to a piece that is spring loaded against the inside of the aperture ring. Didn't really seem to be electrical contacts on the inner surface of that ring. Do anyone have an idea as to how that works? Is it some kind of flex resistor?<br>

Anyway, it's all back together now. Slick blades all round and found the adjustment to make sure the shutter locks when cranked (was pushing microns too short). Next up is to adjust and clean the rangefinder. I'm also planning on painting the inside of the top cap black as per Peter de Waal's suggestion (<a href="/classic-cameras-forum/00VL6N">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00VL6N</a>). I'm sure I'll start playing with it before I get around to buying an LR50 (appears to be the right replacement battery) for the meter, so we'll have to see later if that's working or not.</p>