Tiny catastrophe/ lost focusing tab on 35 lux

hyatt_lee

Hey, Umm, I know this will seem like a perfectly silly inquiry but I wanted to ask. I lost my focusing tab in a Chinese New Year Night market tonight on my 35lux circa 1981/1983. Now there is a screw sticking out and two small holes on either side with a dash of dried glue. To be honest, I'm not a collector and just intend to use the lens and can (though it is slightly more irritating) make do with the protruding screw for focusing. My question is, should I worry about this? I mean, it isn't like the loose thread on the sweater that can unravel the whole d**n thing is it? Anyone have an extra one hanging around the house? Should I just go see a shrink instead?

Hyatt, If your tab is attached in the same manner as the tab on the Summicron 50mm (it sounds as if that's the case based on your description,) then you might want to have it fixed professionally. Depending on how long the attaching screw is, it might back out and jam in the focusing helical. But if you're mechanically inclined and not averse to risk, then you could try fixing it yourself. What have you got to lose; according to Andy Piper's tests, all our 'old' lenses are paperweights, anyway ;-)

Call Leica or your local Leica distributor. The pre-ASPH 35 luxes used metal focussing levers (with infinity lock) while the current 35/1.4 ASPH uses a plastic glued on finger rest without infinity lock. So the current one can't be used, but Leica often retains parts for older lenses long after they have been discontinued. A professional repair service also tends to accumulate parts; and there are some dealer/repair services that actually sell older Leica parts for just such contingencies.

P.S. You don't have to be a collector to want your lens to be complete with all of the equipment it had when it left the factory. I would want the same thing.

George. Your are right. I misstated the situation. The 35 mm luxes from 1960 to some time in the early 1970s (? as late as 1973) had the metal focussing lever with infinity lock), and the later ones had the plastic focussing lever without the infinity lock, like the current wide angle lenses.