Nikon Nikkor -W 105mm f/5.6 in Copal 0 vs Schneider apo-Symmar 100mm f/5.6 in Copal

lfbrown

I would like to purchase a modern lens for my old 6 X 9 Century Graphic. I have found two available in my budget: Nikon Nikkor-W f/5.6

and the Schneider apo-Symmar 100mm f/5.6 - both in Copal 0 and both used but seemingly in fine condition. I shoot, as noted, 6 X 9,

scan and print to no larger than 11.5 X 17.5 inches. Absolute largest prints I'll ever do most likely. So the question is this: given I'm

scanning to start with, and then doing the above mentioned size in a dedicated inks inkjet printer, will I see any practical difference

between these two lenses?

Thanks for any comments in advance.

<p>Condition is everything with lenses. Go for the one that appears in better condition, and check the shutters out thoroughly. The Nikon lens should come in a Nikon badged shutter - even though it's a standard Copal. If it doesn't bear the Nikon badging then the lens has been re-shuttered and may have suffered some spacing/alignment problem as a result.</p>

<p>I have a 150mm Nikkor-W and am a little disappointed with its performance. It's not as sharp as a 180mm Rodenstock Sironar that I have. I've not used an Apo-Symmar, but I imagine that an Apo lens <em>should</em> outperform the Nikkor-W. Though as I said, condition is everything, and a lens that's suffered careless handling or over-cleaning and the consequent build-up of micro-scratches won't be as good as a pristine lens that's never had a grubby handkerchief (or microfiber cloth) rubbed frequently across it.</p>

<p>Les, they're both overkill for a Century. Claimed coverages @f/22m Nikon 155 mm and Schneider a hair less. The camera can't use their coverage.</p>

<p>If you have time to wait for more lenses to come to market consider the 105/5.6 Fujis. More overkill. See <a href="http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm">http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm</a></p>

<p>I wouldn't pursue a Sironar/Sironar-n because they tend to be pricier than the alternatives. If one came along at the right price, ...</p>

<p>Given the Century's lack of movements a good grade of Tessar (Zeiss Oberkochen or Schneider's Xenar) should do perfectly well for you. Postwar coated len in a modern shutter, of course.</p>

<p>RJ is right about condition's importance.</p>

<p>After I added 6x12 to my toolkit I found that my normal lens for 2x3 (105/5.6 Saphir BX = Zircon) won't allow movements on that format so I shopped for all of these lenses. I ended up with the earlier Fuji.</p>

There is not much out there in terms of 6 X 9 lenses. The two mentioned are the only ones in the appropriate focal length

and price range that I can find currently. Both claim to be in exellent + condition. Who knows until it arrives, however. A

little overkill on the image circle is not a negative if the condition and price are right. The lens that came with the camera

is a 101mm Optar. The shutter speeds are all within a stop of each other so it is usable with compensation but the

images are very, very, soft in comparison to transparancies I took years ago with Schneider and Rodenstock lenses. The

100mm apo-Symmar is 40% higher in price than the Nikon which begs the original question, will I see that 40% extra cost

in the results? But to tell the truth, I'll probably go for the Schneider on the assumption that any imrovement in

contrast/sharpness will help the end result.

Thanks for the input to both of you.

<p>Interesting. Where did you look?</p>

<p>http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Fujifilm-Fujinon-W-105mm-f-5-6-Lens-Fuji-w-Copal-Schtter-/271974273438?hash=item3f52ee119e</p>

<p>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-CM-Fujinon-W-105mm-f-5-6-Lens-3580-/141759111042?hash=item2101805f82 price out of my range, possibly yours too</p>

<p>Any of the lenses discussed so far would do very well for you.</p>

I did see those, Dan, but I'm leery of international purchases both in terms of hassle (duties, shipping times, etc) and

return costs if necessary to send it back. The price on the first is certainly attractive, however. And yes, the price on the

second is beyond my budget. Perhaps such purchases are more trouble free than I imagine but my preference is stick

closer to home unless no alternatives are availabe.

<p>Time ago I read somewhere that the 105W Nikkor was the dog in the Nikkor W line... cannot remember if it comes from a reputable user or just from from a well known guy, this two things not always come together.<br /> I only can say that I use quite often a 180W. I have never tested it side by side against my latest 210 Apo Sironar S -which is suposed to be the best one-; to be sincere never worried about a possible lack of sharpness. My pics are plenty sharp with one or another.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>If you purchased the apo-Symmar you made a good decision. I own both. FYI I have found that my apo-Symmar will fold<br>

up in the camera but the Nikon would not. It is important to orient the shutter just right for it to do that. The shutter cocking<br>

knob must be at an angle so that it is at the diagonal of the lensboard (the widest part.)</p>

<p>A friend once compared this lens to a Hasselblad 80/2.8 and said that it resolved more taking into account the extra square cm of area of the film format.</p>

<p>Well, I thought I had responded to Bob Eskridge last night but now don't see it on the forum. So thanks, Bob, for the comments. I do appreciate the info on mounting the lens as I had tentatively tried to fold the camera up with the Symmar in place but it wouldn't close. I didn't pursue it, just removed the lens after my first two rolls. I'll implement your suggestion after my next round of exposures.<br>

I used to own a very nice Schneider 180mm specifically designed for closeup photography which I was doing a lot of in those days. Schneider offered two in this series with the other being a 120mm. I don't remember the exact designation given them, however. Fantastic images. I am hoping that this one is as good.</p>

• 5 weeks later...