Just sharing the excitment...my first L lens will be home next week! FD 300mm F2.8

gabriel_gerena

<p>Sorry for the over excited post but I cannot wait to get my hands on this my first L glass.<br>

I plan to add the x1.4-A and 2xA adapters to sort of have a 3 in 1 combo of a lens.<br>

These next few days cannot go fast enough :D<br>

I will post some pics with my camera and shots taken with it..probably from the zoo first of all.</p>

<p>Congrats! You have one of the best L lenses ever made. And yes, getting those two TCs is a smart move. 400/4 and 600/5.6 are very useful focal length to aperture ratios.</p>

<p>So -- pics please!</p>

<p>Oh, and what camera(s) do you plan to use it with?</p>

<p>Congratulations on the purchase, Gabriel. I hope you found a copy that doesn't need repainting. ;-)</p>

<p>I had a virtually mint FD 300/2.8 L, and must confess that I almost always used my 300/4 L instead because of its greater portability. So (gasp!) I sold the big white L (sob!).</p>

<p>But it is surely one of the very finest lenses Canon has ever made, a truly legendary optic, and I certainly do regret selling mine.</p>

<p>I'm looking forward to seeing some of the images you take with it.</p>

<p>Enjoy!</p>

<p>The 300/2.8 is a legendary lens. </p>

<p>Back in the mid-70’s, the original FL-F 300/2.8 version caused quite a stir in the photojournalism world. Some enterprising reporter, who was covering a talk Henry Kissinger was giving at the U.N. (or someplace), was sitting in the photographer’s gallery, which was seated well above Kissinger’s podium. He pointed his FL-F 300/2.8 lens down and took a picture of Kissinger’s private notes with the lens wide-open at F2.8. When the B&W film was processed (Tri-X?), Kissinger’s private notes could be clearly read, word-for-word. Of course, this ended up on the front page of the NYT or some paper.</p>

<p>I remember a photo magazine (Modern Photography?) had a two or three page spread on this event. I forgot was happened to the photographer, but the photographer’s gallery was moved to a new position.</p>

<p><strong>Michael</strong>, I will be using it with the Sony A7ii so it should be sweet with the built in stabilization. :)<br>

<strong>Mark</strong>, hahaha yes this copy looks really good and looks like any paint damage will be small and possible for me to retouch with the original Canon paint if I feel like. Based on the pics, I dont think I will be bothered. Plus I got it with the original Canon case and that front Canon pouch part too. <br>

<strong>Jim</strong>, darn cool story! You guys are making my wait until Tuesday even harder! :D<br /><br />Thanks all!</p>