I'm lookin at a Canon fd lens from Adorama Camera that has

a "V" rating. The price for this lens seems about $100.0

lower than a "cleaner" lens from ebay. The V rating on their

website is as pasted below. The V rating is probably on the

low/middle end of their scale, with 5 grades higher, and 3

lower.

Does anybody have any experience with Adorama, and their

ratings.

Ideally, I would like to get a lens one "grade better", but the $260.00 price tag seems good . Would you shy away from a lens in the below

"condition".

Thanks all. Gary

Adorama V rating:

Barrel appears well used and may include dings,

scrapes/scratches, heavy brassing. Lens glass may have

marks or haze that should not affect picture quality.

<p>Speaking only for myself, I'd need to know more to give a reasonably informed answer.<br /> <br />ie: what lens is it?<br /> What does it usually sell for?<br /> Is it comparatively / extremely lower priced than normal so it might be worth the risk?<br />Is there a no questions asked return policy?<br />etc.<br /><br /> Without that other sort information to go into the decision making process...just on the face of their description I wouldn't be interested in it.</p>

Bill. I believe Adorama has a 30 day money back policy.

It is the Canon FD 400 mm F4.5.

There is one on ebay for about $110.00 more, and

judging by the ratings, albeit a differeny seller so

apples to banana ratings comparison, seems one

notch better...but by no means mint.

I think u own this lens and like it..

<p>Amen to the FDn 400/4.5...with my interests being nature & wildlife, it is one of my most used lenses.<br>

$260 seems below the normal range for sure.<br />Does the AD specifically make statements about such things as:<br />Any internal fungus?<br />Oil on aperture blades?<br />Slop / over-travel of the focusing collar?<br />Does it focus at infinity?<br />If not, I'd at least ask those specific questions...in writing (Email).<br>

Then with that return policy, I guess your only risk would be the return shipping then...if you get it, really put it through its paces that first week-10 days and you should know.</p>

<p>Not even a full set of close up photos ??<br>

Then personally...I wouldn't even consider it...truly buying a pig-in-a poke sight unseen like that.<br />I'd figure out some way to save up another $100+ bucks and get one from a seller with a full set of close-up photos, a clearly documented "condition statement", a higher condition rating, etc...and of course a no questions asked return policy.<br>

Your mileage may vary...</p>

<p>Seems to me with the lack of a decent description and close-up photo's from ADORAMA, Bill C's responses make a lot of sense. Especially where your convenience or possible inconvenience is concerned for a return. ADORAMA may not even want to carefully examine it just to answer your questions. In actuality, their 'V' rating is not that great and sounds just too close to problematic for me.<br>

I have purchased 'quite a few' FD lenses off fleecebay, and have yet to be burned (due to 95% satisfied with the info I could obtain PLUS a dab of 5% additional luck.)<br>

If a seller does not post enough info and does NOT answer your questions, . . . PASS, PASS, PASS.<br>

There is a glut of old FD lenses available.<br>

The sellers I dealt with <strong>and purchased from</strong> answered my questions when I had any, and that is an "assist" in avoiding the unexpected.</p>

"My film died of exposure."

<p>Hi Gary</p>

<p>you are most welcome to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com, and I can put you in touch with a member of our used team, who will be delighted to assist you.<br>

However, as you noted above, we do have a 30-day return policy, just in case the unit doesn't meet your expectations.</p>

<p>Helen Oster<br>

Adorama Camera</p>