How much does a 4x5 outfit weigh?

Troll

Thirteen Pounds (13#) for my camera bag as follows: Domke F2 bag/

Busch 4x5 model D/ Staeble Polyplast casket set (105, 135, 165, 195,

and 220mm components in a small Compound shutter plus 3 filters/ 3

Grafmatics (18 shots)/ BTZS focusing cloth/ Pentax ZX5n for color and

backup (using it for metering and the 43mm lens as a loupe)/ cell

phone/ bottled water and sandwich/ and a bunch of little stuff like

penlight, lens cleaning kit, cable release, notebook, bandaids, etc.

Add 5# for a Tiltall tripod, making a total of 18#. I could knock

2.5# off by substituting my Nagaoka for the Busch but then I couldn't

shoot hand-held. A carbon fiber tripod could save another 1#, but at

a very high cost. It doesn't sound like much, but that's a lot for

an old man to tote. I'd be interested to hear how much (and what)

others carry.

OK, that's all my lighting equipment, too. Considering I shoot mainly architecture as of late, my weight has ballooned slightly (my equipment's weight that is.) I had to fly to Hawaii to shoot few houses earlier last year (yea, I know tough job) you should have seen the ticket counter person's face, when I started to unload five large equipment cases and a couple of smaller bags. The great thing was I didn't have to take any luggage, I just packed all my clothes around the equipment for extra protection. The only thing that got damaged was the spirit level on my tripod, I think it froze and cracked open. My camera bag itself, maybe around 35-40lbs. with film holders and all.

Last time I put my Pro Trekker on the weigth, was 9,8kg (about 22lbs), including a DLC45, carbon fiber tripod, 10DDS, three lenses, etc. If I want to go lighter, I leave the pack at home (with their 4kgs), and take a single mountain back pack with two lenses and a few DDS. The weight in this case are moreless the same than yours.

Usually my girl friend or my sister helped me taking the water and food for both.

When I go with the 4x5 complete outfit I always use two telescopic sticks (sorry, I don't know how they are called, sticks designed for mountaneering, like the skiers ones). They are a great help, weight are distributed on the legs and arms.

Bill, my unscientific thought is that your choice of equipment allows your heart to divert blood from your muscles to your eyes. I think the Busch is the pick of the litter of the press cameras for backpacking. Small, light, and with a revolving back. Your outfit would indicate a man who has chosen his tools wisely for his purpose and has chosen to use his time and money in making images rather than chasing the illusive "ideal camera and lenses."

Hi,

After packing for a week photographing in Brittany, France a few weeks ago I did put the loaded backback on a scale: 15Kg.

Backpack was loaded with a Linhof TK-45s, 4 lenses, box of readyload+holder, filters and some small stuff as darkcloth, WA-bellows, compendium, etc etc. Furthermore I crammed my MF kit (body + 3 lenses) also into the backback (a lowe-pro pro-trekker aw). Carried the tripod apart from the backpack.

I lug around 23 lbs including a Pro Trekker bag, A-S field camera, 3 lenses, polaroid & readyload holders, small umbrella, etc. The bag itself is way too heavy (9lbs!) for my liking (and the harness stinks) and I'm looking to replace it with a real mountaneering pack that I'll outfit with pockets for everything--that should save me about 3-4lbs. The tripod I carry separately (7lbs).<p>Of course, I also tend to be a pack rat and put stuff in the bag I never take out: a 67mm polarizer I've never used, Spotmeter-V even though I carry the digital pentax in my jacket pocket, a rain cover for the camera (it doesn't rain in Minnesota this time of year), 2 coater tubes for polaroid even though I never use the prints from my 55P/N shots, etc, etc.

Brrrrr! yes! it was 7 degrees at my house here in Hotlanta at dawn this morning -- and that was on the sunny (and lee) side of the house!<P>

Recently I have been working with a 1968 5x7 Linhof Technika IV. That alone weighs 12-13lbs. Add a 90mm f/4.5, a 210mm f/5.6, a 300mm f/9, about 20 rolls of rollfilm and a 1.9lb Canham 6x17cm roll film holder, loupes darkcloth, some Lee filters and filter holder/shade, a Spotmeter F, cable releases etc. and I bet I'm at nearly 20lbs or slightly over. I'm also lugging a Gitzo 410C with an Arca-Swiss B2 so I know the total load is well over 30lbs and probably close to 35lbs. Where's my Sherpa?! <P>(Sitting in the Explorer keeping warm.)

Camera bag (can't remember the brand), Phillips 4x5, 3 lenses (90mm f8, 150mm f5.6, 300mm f9), pentax spotmeter, Conkin filter system with hood (just B&W filters), readyload holder, 20 readyloads, dark cloth, Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with apron, rubber bulb for air cleaning stuff, antistatic brush and an extra spotmeter battery for a total of......drum roll.....24 pounds.

30 lbs for: Linhof TK 45, WA bellows, 7 lenses from 55-450mm, 8 filters (67mm), Lee compendium and step-up rings, Pentax digital spotmeter, darkcloth, readyload holder, 20 sheets Readyload, assorted small stuff, CF tripod (Gitzo 1227), tripod head and quick-release system, backpack (Mountainsmith Ghost) with insert (Lightware). Add water and food for longer dayhikes.

About 9.25 lbs for: Cambo Wide with 65mm SA, eye level finder and three double sheet film holders, Polaris meter, small flash, spare batteries, all in Besseler camera bag. Add another 6lbs for Manfrotto 190 and H/D ball head. As I usually substitute a 6x12 RFH and a couple of rolls of Neopan 400 it's lighter still but not 4x5 of course.

If I don't have to carry any distance I use a heavier tripod.

Just as an example, my complete set (camera, 3 lenses, 24 sheets of film in

Quickchange holders, meter, carbon tripod, tripod head, bags,...) weights 18

lbs (8 kg). My "super light" set, with only one lens and 8 sheets is 14 lbs (6 kg).

I think this is very difficult to make something lighter in 4x5" format.

<p>

<table border="1">

<tr>

<td>5lb</td><td>12oz</td><td>Graflex Super Graphic, +quick release</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>9lb</td><td>2oz</td><td>Benbo tripod, Bogen 3055 ball head</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td> </td><td>6oz</td><td>Fidelity film holder</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>15lb</td><td>4oz</td><td>total minimum weight</td>

</tr>

</table>

</p>

How much? Too much William, for sure. And the older we get, the more gear we have. Isn't life funny? I just weighed my Tenba with Toyo VX-125, extension kit, 2 rollfilm backs, 10 lenses, 1 Quickload and some film and accessories at 36 pounds w/o tripod, sandwich, water and mossies repellent. This makes the weight saving from a carbon tripod anecdotic! Of course this is the 1 mile outfit and for longer distance, I take it down to 20 lb. You have managed quite well with your equippment, I believe!

Ellis, I just read here above that you are using a 5x7 Tech with the Canham panorama back! That's interesting. As a matter of fact, I have one on my way from Ebay for the same use. But I'm told that the 5x7 has no graflock hooks. How do you manage to hold the rollfilm in place? I was also told that the spring back only accepts 4cm # inserts. Did you manage to insert the back? Or maybe you are lucky to have a graflock model?

Bill, I have no idea of what your bag looks like, if it's a shoulder bag or a backpack so maybe I'll ad some comment. A photo bag that you carry on one shoulder is very stressing for the spine and should at all cost be avoided. Many photographers have had permanent damage due to the use of such bags for years. When choosing a backpack, it is important to find one that suits your anatomy. Resting all the weight on the shoulders is no good either even if it's both. A wide padded waist belt is what we need to relieve the shoulders and spine. I have a damaged back bone between the shoulders and I have to be careful. If I don't put the waist belt, I soon feel like an old man. But if most of the weight rests on my hips, I can walk comfortably for a much longer period. The way to test if a bag suits you is, when it's fitted, you let your shoulders fall slightly and the bag should remain at it's place, resting completely on the hips. This makes a big difference.

Bill, I remember an article in Popular Photographer about twenty years ago written by Jim Domke and an orthopaedic doctor. The article showed several exercises for photographers to overcome the effects of carrying so much weight on the shoulder. Domke used to send out reprints. I'm no Colin Fletcher. My packpacking arrangement consists of wrapping the camera in the focusing cloth, generally with one lens mounted in the camera. I use Calumet/Domke lens wrap for the other lens. Meter, notebook, etc, go in the small pocket. I carry about eight holders in my Domke Super Compact bag stolen from my 35mm kit. I'm on my second bag. The first was a $5 bookbag from Woolworth. It did me proud, and I was sad when I couldn't get it repaired any longer. I replaced it with a Lowe bookbag. Incidentally, the same arrangement worked with my old Kodak D2 8x10. I would certainly not consider this primitive arrangement ideal. I'm looking into getting something like a Lowepro Photo or Mini Trekker this spring. I suspect using one of these specialty bags will be a step forward, however, I think going from the shoulder bag to the Woolworth bookbag had much more impact. It was liberating. I think your choice of Busch camera, casket lenses and grafmatics is an ideal outfit for carrying comfortably on your back. (I think hand carrying the tripod is still the most practical.) I'm thrifty by nature, but I think a well designed, and COMFORTABLE pack which fits you is worth spending careful study and money. I believe a properly fitted small backpack would make us both feel ten years younger!