Nikon 200-500mm/f5.6 E AF-S VR Lens Early Impressions

ShunCheung

<p>First of all, I should remind everybody that there is a service advisory for this lens: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00dWa7">Nikon Service Advisory for the 200-500mm/f5.6</a><br>

Nikon needs to update the firmware to fix an AF issue. Unfortunately, you need to ship the entire lens back to Nikon to update the firmware inside.</p>

<p>To me, the one surprise about this lens is its sharpness; it is really good even compared to the f4 superteles. Otherwise, it is mostly as expected. At 5 lbs, this is a heavy lens, although it is lighter than the 300mm/f2.8 and the 200-400mm/f4. I can hand hold it for a short period, but after a while, it feels heavy, especially if you extend it all the way to 500mm and you need to extend your left arm out to support it. For birds in flight, I think the 80-400mm AF-S VR is definitely a better choice.</p>

<p>I captured the image below around 6:30pm so that it was somewhat dark. AF on the 200-500mm has difficulties with birds in flight: 250mm, f5.6, 1/1000 sec and ISO 3200 on the D750. That is about 4.5 stops below sunny 16. What you want is a 300mm/f2.8 or 70-200mm/f2.8 with that kind of light.</p>

<p>Another interesting aspect I noticed is that while both the 80-400mm AF-S VR and 200-500mm/f5.6 AF-S VR are sharp, somehow the 200-500mm generates slightly warmer images. That is apparent reviewing the images on the LCD on the camera as well as on a computer screen. These two images are not color corrected, although it is not difficult to adjust them to look the same in post processing. I used the D7200 to capture these images. I had changed lenses back and forth, and the color also changed back and forth:</p>

<ul>

<li>80-400mm version: http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00d/00dWfP-558741684.jpg</li>

<li>200-500mm version: http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00d/00dWfO-558741584.jpg</li>

</ul>

<div>00dWvD-558778284.jpg.fb7accf49b704375b3b6e8f86abe56d1.jpg</div>

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I have to say handholding this lens is no joy.<br>

In dim light, D810's autofocus has decidedly more trouble with this lens than with F/2.8 zoom. In fact, in dim light, the D810's AF seem to have more trouble finding the focus with this lens then even with 70-300 VR.<br>

With the 70-300 VR, the D810 would sometimes fall into a sort of focus trap where the camera would find something close to the focus, then shift the focus back and forth in a very rapid series of movements as if it couldn't quite decided between two very close focus ranges. If you lock the focus with focus lock button at that moment, you would find the focus is pretty good even if the camera is still hunting.<br>

With the 200-500, the camera often simply give up, and flash the focus circle in the view finder. <br>

Have used it for a few days, I have to say I think the 200-500 is more of a specialty long telephoto lens with reframing capability, not a travel lens like the 80-400AFS. It does make up for its reduced versatility and increased weight and bulk with an outstanding price, and very good image quality.<br>

I think I made the right decision to buy this lens over the 80-400AFS. I do mostly landscapes, only rarely wildlife. I think for me, a lens like 80-400AFS, in addition to being too expensive and overlap too much with the 70-200AFS to justify its cost, would also encourage sloppy photography by virtue of its great zoom range. The size, weight and range of this lens encourages more forethought, as well as save a good sum that can be used for a good tripod.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well I finally took the plunge and ordered this lens. I debated for a very long time and decided that the 70-200mm f4 plus this lens would make a nice round kit for me to use. I will be using this lens for wildlife photography. </p>

<p>It is on back order currently (presumably due to demand and to fix the firmware issue before sending more out into the world) but as soon as I get it I hopefully will post some images here.</p>