new printer - recommendation

<p>My Epson Pro 3800 which i've had for 5/6 years needs a new print-head .. Which will cost me about $1,400.<br>

I'm thinking it would make more sense to pay more & to upgrade my printer. What's the current equivalent to what the 3800 was when it first came out?<br>

Many thanks </p>

<p>You could save a lot of money and look for a 3880, a superb printer. I also have that an a P600, frankly the 3880 is up there and has been pain free for years. <br>

The 3880 replaced your 3800, the P series replaces it. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>3880 is sheet only. <br>

P800 has only been out a few months, I can't imagine why the reviews are poor (it's just a bigger version of my P600 which is quite a nice unit).<br>

Since P800 is so new, you again might find a scramming deal on the 3880!</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>I just looked up the Epson P800 ... Unless I'm looking at the wrong one - Reviews are quite low on it</p>

</blockquote>

So review sites and reviewers are better than others...

<p>https://luminous-landscape.com/new-epson-surecolor-p800-printer-review/</p>

<blockquote>

<p>prices look the same from what i can see... very similar. Unless I'm missing something :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I suspect you are.... One's brand new technology, the other is being replaced. IF you find the two at the same price, keep looking!</p>

<p>Canon's are fine printers, very different ink head technology, you should study the differences to see if you want to jump ship. On paper, Piezo has a few more advantages. </p>

<p>You may have have your printer for longer than you think - the successor model 3880 came out 6 years ago. I have one of these, have found it excellent in every way, seems to not mind being left for a few weeks, uses quite a a lot of ink cleaning itself and purging itself when changing black ink from matte to photo. I don't believe a new waste tank will solve your problem, you should be seeing an error message some time in advance if a replacement is due, the same as with ink cartridges. Have you made a lot of prints with your 3800, to the point where you could say you have had fair service from it and it is now worn out? Epson are as durable as other printers, but nothing lasts forever. Buying a 3880 would at least allow you to use up your stock of cartridges!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Megan:

I've been using Epson 17-inch-wide printers for about 10 years and I recently tested the Epson SureColor P800 for Professional Photographer

magazine. Unfortunately, the article is not available for free online. Here's a link to a PDF of the Table of Contents:

http://www.ppmag.com/current_issue/pdfs/1115/contents1115.pdf . And here's subscription info. You may want to see if the current issue is

included if you subscribe.

I think the P800 is a fantastic printer. I especially like the added black density (especially on matte papers), roll paper handling and lack of

automatic cleaning cycles that I'm hearing. You can read my review of a similar printer, the Epson SureColor P600 here on PopPhoto.com:

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2015/03/printer-test-epson-surecolor-p600

If you don't need roll paper handling and can save a lot on a new 3880, that's certainly still a good option. One thing to keep in mind when

comparing prices is that the P800's "starter" ink cartridges are 60 ml compared with the 80 ml cartridges that come with the 3800/3880. After the

starter cartridges, 80ml cartridges are the only option, just like with the 3800 and 3880.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew Darlow

Editor, The Imaging Buffet

http://www.imagingbuffet.com