Graflex roll film light seals : Report

westphoto

<p>I assumed if I posted to my old question, it may never be seen, so I'll force a bump.<br>

I asked a while back about the light seals on the Graphlex roll film holder. I have since run and processed my first roll (what a lovely experience). I'll upload a "contact sheet" so you can take a look at the minor leakage I got (you're welcome to comment on the photographs as well, if you like). It appears to just be a little burny in general around the top and bottom, but that may have to do with my lack of film rolling experience, maybe not. There are a few places were you can see a fair leak, frames 4, 6, and 10 in particular. I had already put black yarn (I think 2-strands) in the side slots where there used to be foam before I loaded this roll. Any new input on the condition of my RFH and what steps I should take? I have two rolls of Fujichrome burning a hole in my refrigerator and I don't want to go burning anything there.</p><div>00dkUH-560824684.thumb.jpeg.2348c2bf84aec645ca1856a60f44e0f5.jpeg</div>

<p>Most likely the back hinge is worn.<br>

Next the latch does not lock securely.<br>

Top or bottom cover installed incorrectly on the insert.</p>

<p>With the insert removed, the dark slide removed, look at the hinge from the inside of the RFH. The hinge should be covered completely by the lip of the back frame. There should be no more than .040 inch play in the latch when the holder is closed without a insert installed, .005 less with a insert installed. The back cover has a recess that the insert edge fits into when the back is closed. Is there forward/rearward play in the in the insert when in the holder frame and the back closed? Are the top and bottom covers of the insert properly installed and tight? Top plate should be back from film plane on the take up side and at the film plane on the supply side. Align the take up side first with the screws loose to lightly snugged.</p>

<p>If I had it in my hands I could tell you the cause and a possible fix. It may be too much wear.</p>

<p>I'm seeing 0.05" play in the latch without the insert. The hinge feels rock solid. And I'm not feeling any play anywhere on the insert. I think the top plate is lining up with the film plane like you said, but I'm not sure. They appear to be pretty well parallel.</p>

<p>I'm noticing that there is a 0.05-0.06" gap in the edge on the housing that mates into the groove of the insert at the hinge and latch points. I cut my yarn so that it just spans the channels on the sides. Should it extend to cover these gaps? I'll try and get a picture and upload it.</p><div>00dkcV-560846384.jpg.002abdfdd22dff62c4e694405dfa283d.jpg</div>

<p>With the shell open there may be just detectable play in the hinge, more than .005 inch is worn hinge and or hinge pin. The hinge pin is staked on the ends to prevent it from coming out. It can be reformed and removed. </p>

<p>On the shell with the shell closed and no insert installed there is a gap between the shell hales at the outer edge of the insert grove to the outer edge of the shell, on the latch side there is no gap.<br>

On the hinge side there should be no gap from the outer edge of the insert grove from top to bottom with the hinge at its maximum play limit.<br>

From your stated measurements I think you have a worn shell.</p>

<div>00dkg3-560854484.jpg.418e8bb58066025164fc470348f0489d.jpg</div>

<p>I'm not seeing any gap in the outside of the shell, just that tongue that mates with the grove in the insert. It definitely looks like an intentional gap, as I'm not seeing any wear on anything other than on the latch itself, and that seems minimal. Again, the hinge is rock solid. Looking closely at the residue from the foam that used to be in there, it really looks like it spanned into that gap I'm referring to on the hinge side. I think I'll add a little bit to the seal and give it another run. Try and get through it a bit more quickly this time :)</p>