Flash Remotes on FD cameras

tony_webster2

<p>So i dont see this question answered in any of the forums but I was curious</p>

<p>If I wanted to use an off camera flash say a quantum or even some of the fd flashes such as a speedlite 300tl or 533G do any modern flash remotes work on these cameras or flashes. Could I use say a quantum flash and remote with a New F1? I know the T90 probably has some compatibility. Any help or suggestions are welcome. The type of remote I was thinking of would be say a pocketwizard or something similar :)</p>

<p>-Tony</p>

Hi Tony,

I've shot my Canon F1N using the "dumb triggers" (single contact only) to trip studio lights and remote flashes. As Mark

W implies, there's really no technical magic to it. Just don't expect a great deal of automation in terms of exposure control

(it's all manual -- use a flash meter) or remote lighting control. Of course, pay attention to the flash sync speed on your

camera and don't exceed it.

<p>Just to add to the above comments, Canon did offer a number of accessories for the T90 for remote flash photography. Most all of which involve being able to use the T90's 300TL flash off the camera, while retaining TTL flash metering.</p>

<p>Check out the below link -- scroll almost to the bottom -- it's a portion of the 300TL manual, and shows all the accessories Canon made for use with the 300TL. Canon also makes or has made Off-Camera Shoe Cords for its EOS cameras -- these are cords with the 5-conductor flash shoes connected to them. I have a couple of Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2s, which provide about 3 feet of extension, that I've used with my EOS cameras, but I don't know if they will provide TTL metered exposure with the 300TL and the T90. It seems that they should work, but I just don't know for certain.</p>

<p>http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canont90/Canon300tlflash/index5.htm#Multiple12</p>

<p>Vivitar 283s and 285s could go off-shoe but leave their sensor on the camera with a proprietary cord. From a technical standpoint there's nothing to prevent someone from creating a multi-strobe thyristor system this way, but there's not enough market to be worth making it. The T-90 is compatible with newer units because it had TTL-OTF flash metering, so the sensor is always on the camera, but it was the first and only FD camera to do so.</p>

• 1 month later...