Filter for Dual Range (DR) Summicron

rajmohan.

<p>Hello folks,<br>

My DR Summicron is winging its way to me, and to prevent adding to the minor cleaning marks that it already has on its front element, I'd like to purchase a protective UV filter for it.<br>

Is there any advantage to my buying a 39mm Leica filter (13132) as opposed to a multicoated B+W 39mm UV filter, which costs about half to a third of the Leica? Is the only issue cosmetic, in that the black B+W would look a little odd on the end of the chromed brass of the lens?<br>

Many thanks,<br>

Raj </p>

<p>The 13132 filter is discontinued, but some places have used filters (B&H, etc.) at lower cost. I wouldn't be surprised if Schneider does not make the Leica filter (the more recent one in production is black mounted, like that of the B&W filter) as Leica farms out a lot of its accessory (and even some camera component) production. Black finish is good as it limits extraneous light bouncing off the silver chrome internal faces of the filter. This is probably not critical as the multi-coating of B&W MRC and Leica filters is quite effective. Use of optical glass with highly planar surfaces is important and I believe both filters use that, whereas cheaper filters often cut that corner.</p>

<p><strong>James</strong> - no, the hood I'm expecting is the one that has 2 metal clips on the sides that you press in before slipping the hood on to the lens. It also clips on in the reverse orientation for storage (presumably the cap fits over the reversed hood. I don't know the precise details, as the lens is still in transit.</p>