Vignetting when stacks multiple filters on UWA lense - Seascape

tuan_do1

<p>I'm using a Benro holder system FH-100N for my 16-35mm lense. It is designed for the 82mm CPL filter which can combine with max 3 other rectangular filters.<br /> When inserting a GND filter in front of the CPL, vignetting is not clearly seen but when adding one more ND filter (like little stopper), the vignetting becomes terrible (focal length is set at 16mm).<br /> Please anyone faces the same problem and how to deal with this matter ?<br /> I find that some people use only (GND & ND) filter to prevent the same issue. Not sure if the same issue happen when people use Lee system only (Lee holder & GND & ND & 105mm CPL) but for me i use Benro holder system + Marumi CPL + Lee GND & ND filter. However, many pro photographers (landscape & seascape) said that they never go out without CPL filter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm using a <strong>Benro</strong> holder system <strong>FH-100N</strong> for my 16-35mm lense. It is designed for the 82mm CPL filter which can combine with max 3 other rectangular filters. . . . i use Benro holder system + <em><strong>Marumi</strong> CPL</em> + <em><strong>Lee</strong> GND & ND</em> filter.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I cannot envisage many, if any shooting situations where those three filters would be required for Landscape work at a Focal Length of 16mm, especially using a CPL because, for one example, the havoc a CPL can play with a wide expanse of sky and or water at that UWA. I have never used a CPL on a lens wider than 24mm, and very rarely between 24mm and 35mm (for 135 Format Cameras).</p>

<p>According to the Benro Data Sheet the <strong>FH-100N is designed to be used with Benro Slimline Filters</strong> and one salient point the data sheet makes is, that using the prescribed Benro Filters allows the front slot to fit flush to the lens.</p>

<p>So, if you really want to stack three Filters using your 16mm lens, then I think that you have two options, either -<br /> 1. buy the Benro Slimline Filters and see if their claims are true<br /> OR<br /> 2. consider using a 150mm Square Filter System</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>While it is true a CPL filter is very useful in landscape and seascape photography, that does not mean you always need to use it. As William said, a CPL on very wide angles is not without issues. It can cause an uneven effect throuhgout the frame, which is pretty ugly. It sounds like you always leave the CPL mounted - I think that is a very bad habit. Those pro photographer that say they don't leave the house without the filter - if you ask them if they always leave the filter mounted, I think you find that is not the case. A CPL is a tool to be used in specific scenarios only, not something generic.</p>

<p>In short, use filters only when you need their effect - in case of a CPL, if there is no reflection to loose (in water, foliage), there is not much reason to leave it in front of your lens, and so it's better removed. If you use the CPL together with a ND filter to slow down shutterspeed, consider getting a stronger ND filter instead. The less filters you use, less risk of issues as unwanted flare, loss of resolution and so on. Keep things as simple as possible.</p>

<p>Of course, if you really need multiple filters at the widest angles (and as William, I cannot think of a scenario where I would need that actually), then option number 2 that William listed would be my choice. Not a cheap solution, but it'll do the trick.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> It sounds like you always leave the CPL mounted </p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

If you look at the filter system he is using, that is highly unlikely, it would be awkward at best and fragile at worst. What he seems to have said is that the photographers always carry a CPL. <br>

<br>

William's advice is on-target but I would also question whether using a polarizer is a good idea for your setup.</p>

<p>Tuan,</p>

<p>Do you <em><strong>always</strong></em> use the CPL Filter to make a Landscape or Seascape Photograph?</p>

<p>Many Photographers might <em><strong>carry a CPL Filter in their Camera Bag</strong></em>, but that does NOT mean that they will always use a CPL Filter for every Landscape Photograph.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I always carry a cpl but only use it when it will help the image and not cause the uneven darkening. For decreasing reflections or increasing saturation. I also carry a vari nd to help control backgrounds. If I know I am shooting bright skies, darker land, say before sky is darker, will toss in the bag a set of nd grads. I can hand hold those. The last filter I might carry is a softar but that's another story. Only filters I use so rarely use 2 and the second is a hand held grad over the cpl. </p>