Canon 100-400 IS Mark I question ...

hop_phan

<p>I got a used 100-400 L IS mark I . This one is made in 2001 , according to the lens code (UP). The IS On/Off button on the lens still used the sign "I" and "0" instead of "ON" anf "OFF".<br>

When I press the shutter button/back focussing buttom halfway to activate the IS system, the image in the view finder does not stay still like other canon IS lens , but still moving due to the shake of my hand (more at 400mm).<br>

I tried on my friend 100-400 IS Mark I and the image stays still after the IS is activated (this one must be newer due to the lens code).<br /> I thought that my lens is defective so I sent it to Canon to fix the problem . It cost me almost CAD $ 400.00 to repair. But same thing happened . I phoned Canon and sent it in the second time. Canon fix it again (?) and send it back to me. The image in the view finder still not steady when I turn the IS on. The IS system makes a sound proving that it is working or trying to work but with no result (?).<br>

I do not want to send it in the 3rd time because it looks silly to me .<br>

What do you think ? Is it normal for a lens that old ? I'm really confused .<br>

Thank you for all the input.</p>

<p>If they charged you $400 to repair it then I suppose they must have found something wrong with it. What does it say they repaired on the paperwork?</p>

<p>You should see the image stabilise in the viewfinder at least a little bit when IS is activated, especially at 400mm. If you can't see it stabilise then surely it must be faulty. </p>

<p>Hi Jamie,<br>

To be exact, they charged me $319.00 for<strong> out of warranty standard labour charge</strong> (paid in advance) . They could charge more if the problem is more serious and needs more parts . At the end I did pay $368.48 (include tax and shipping). For service details (from Canon), it says : Replaced listed parts, adjusted to spec .<br>

Part description : - One (1) Lens ass'y, Image Stabilizer (part# CY3-2110-010 )<br>

- Three (3) Setscrew, slotted, HLCP (part# XA6-1170-398<br>

and for the 2nd time , they did not charge me anything (warranty) and in the paper work, it says :</p>

<p>Replaced listed parts, adjusted to spec ,<br>

One(1) Lens Ass'y , Image Stabilizer (part# CY3-2110-010)<br>

One (1) FPC Ass'y , Main (part # YG2-0370-009)<br>

but at the end , to me ,nothing changes . That why I'm confused and need your advice/thought.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I've just checked my (2009) 100-400 to see what happens when I turn on the IS by focussing. There was no kick when it turned on, unlike the ones I saw with my first (2006) 24-105.<br>

The critical factor is whether the IS is effective when you shoot. Have you tried any hand held shots that would require IS to give a sharp image? Try shooting the same thing both with IS set to on and off and then compare the results.<br>

Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Mine is 2008 build. At 400mm handheld focussing about 15m away, I can see a clear and effective stabilisation of the image when the IS starts. When the IS switches off, the image starts to jiggle around again. Of course, how much stabilisation you will see depends upon how steady your own hands are - maybe I'm a bit shaky!</p>

<p>Hi Peter,<br>

I did try take some pictures with the IS on and off and see almost no difference when checking the sharpness of these pictures . That why I sent mine in the first place after I tried the one from a friend of mine and saw a clear and effective stabilization of that IS system.<br /> I described to Canon the "problem" (I thought) when sending mine to be repaired and assume that Canon will check their work before sending it back to me , but twice, I see no difference . Still confused !</p>

<p>Updating my post :<br>

Hi all,<br>

I did take test shots again and realize that the IS of my lens is not effective so I phone Canon to discuss the problem. They want me to send them test shots (unprocessed) so they can decide if the problem is real and if I need to send the lens to be repaired again.<br>

I'm waiting for their answer and will keep you all updated.</p>

<p>Hi all,<br>

After submitting the pictures taken with my 100-400 IS lens, I got a phone call from a customer service representative from Canon Canada. He wants me to send the lens back (attention) to him so he can personally test the lens before the technician do the repair . Hope they will test the lens after .<br /> The lens is now en route to Canon Canada Service Centre in Toronto .<br>

Will keep you update with the result.</p>

<p>I also have the 100-400mm L IS MK 1, made in 2003 with a date code of "UR". Like yours it uses "I" and "o" for the IS ON and OFF symbols. Mine works but I have to say that it is oftentimes difficult to tell in the viewfinder if it is working or not. I can here it whirring and if I watch "real close" I can sometime see that it does smooth out jerky movement but only if it is randomly moving around in a certain way. I have surely 10 other lens with IS and all are very obvious when IS it turned on - there's an immediate "smoothness" to the image and a little lag when moved but with my 100-400mm it is very difficult to see. I actually often ask myself if it is working at all. I think that we would be lucky to get 1 stop out of it. You might try putting it on a solid tripod and engaging the IS - it should slowly, but very obviously, drift the image over few seconds.</p>

<p>Update about my lens :<br>

I received a phone call this morning from Canon Canada telling me that my lens is ready to be sent back to me .<br>

The technician told me that he replaced the IS the third time but the IS still does not work ! Finally he found out that the pivot/axis (?) is damaged . He said that this is the first time he encounters this problem. I hope the lens must be good after the repair.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The technician told me that he replaced the IS the third time but the IS still does not work ! Finally he found out that the pivot/axis (?) is damaged"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That leads one to conclude that, after the previous repair(s) to the IS mechanism the lens was not 'field tested' to ensure that the IS was in fact working correctly. If that is in fact the repairer's procedure, then that is not a good procedure. </p>

<p>WW</p>