Desire a Different Look for a Friend's Wedding

<p>Hi All,<br>

My friends have their daughter marrying in the last week of September. One of those Sonoma winery venues with everything 'proper', including pro folks for imaging. I am a guest, who wants to make an image or two with a difference. I am not a shooting pro there. I am thinking about using 35mm format: a Leica Mx with a Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 and Bergger BRF400+ (ORWO N74+) for a retro look with a glow. Something along these lines. I will also have Canon 85/1.2 L, Canon 200mm L (both), 135L and a few others with me. But I think that it would be more appropriate to have a compact rangefinder to go in a less intrusive manner. What do you think? Maybe regular Tri-X will do? I want an image with a difference without overthinking. After all, your equipment is just that.<br>

Thank you for sharing your wisdom..</p>

Don't worry, I think b&w discussion is

allowed here. Just don't cross-post!

As for equipment: IMO, leave the SLR

gear at home! It's just a big,

cumbersome anchor you don't need.

Heck, why not hook your Winnebago to

your car as well? LOL. You should not

take anything which will spoil the fun

you'll be having with the Leica. ;-)

You are right to be shooting b&w film,

regardless of your camera choice. Take

a few rolls more than you think you'll

need. You won't regret taking extra film, but you will regret not taking enough.

<p>Yuri, it really isn't a question anyone can answer for you, but yourself. Your idea is nice, and indeed doing something different from the hired photographer (and not getting in their way, I'd say) can be nice gift to share.<br>

But I think it is most important to make sure it is something that is really "yours", a style you usually use, and that your friends will recognise as being yours. That way, it is a personal gift. As you wrote, don't overthink. Do what feels natural to you, put your emotion into those photos in a way that you always would. So, I wouldn't deliberately search for a style to apply, unless you always/frequently use that style. Keep it natural and personal.<br>

Same goes for the gear to use; use what you prefer using and what you feel most comfortable and efficient with. The opinions that others may have on that gear are pretty irrelevant; it has to work for you, not them.</p>

<p>Yuri, best of luck! That is a role that I often play at weddings, and it can be very satisfying. You have none of the pressure of the Official Photographer. Being unobtrusive and blending in with the guests, there are gems to be found. The bride and groom will share unguarded moments when they are not in front of the big Canon/Hasselblad or whatever.</p>

<p>I think your first plan (the Leica with a fast normal and the Bergger film) will help you deliver a unique look that will probably be distinct from the "official" photos. The only other thing I would consider is one additional lens -- something a little longer like a 90mm (if you have one.) This gives you the ability to observe from a slightly longer distance, which is important when the official photog is doing their job (which is all the time.) I often shoot Pentax 35mm and that means I pack my 77mm or 135mm. I am always glad to have one of those lenses along.</p>

<p>I respect and celebrate the work that the official photographers do. Having been in that role a few times, I don't ever want to diminish their work or become a nuisance to them. But it has been a real joy to have three different brides tell me that their favourite photo of the day came from me.</p>

<p>I've been both the official photographer at weddings and a guest taking pictures at weddings. No. 1 rules is to stay completely out of the way of the official photographer. It doesn't sound like you have any intention of getting in the way. But if you show up with both a Leica and a Canon and a bunch of lenses, you are going to give the official photographer reason to worry what you're up to. He has enough on his mind not to need a distraction even if it's an imagined one.<br /><br />Take a compact camera and shoot what you can get while staying as far from the official photographer as possible. Best to shoot the bride and groom when he/she is not around. Or at least be in the gaggle of other guests with their iPhones and point and shoots rather than looking like a competitor. Concentrate on things the offiical photographer isn't likely to shoot.</p>

<p>Thank you all.</p>

<p>Mr Watson, what is so different about XP2 in a positive way? I also have the Kodak and Fuji Neopan C-41 films in my fridge. Easier workflow, but do they seem to be more clinical to my eye.. May be I am missing something.</p>

<p>I am aiming for the one, may be two prints, that will be my gift to the girl. Me and you are going to be gone, but she will still smile looking at it.<br>

<br />Related question: who is printing fiber well nowadays? Regardless of cost.<br>

Thank you again for the great help,<br /><br />Y</p>

• 1 month later...