The Last F-1?

scott_paris4

<p>Anybody know when the last New F-1 was built?<br>

I've found all kinds of references about when F-1 and New F-1 production started, but not one about when they stopped.<br>

I have one that's coded FE0647 or June 1990, and some of the references seem to imply that Canon promised to "support" the F-1 for 5 years after 1987, which could mean the end was 1991. But no actual data.</p>

<p>I have one F-1N in my database with a serial number of 297XXX and a date code of FF 03 (March, 1991). The highest serial number I have is 312XXX so the last F-1N was probably made in 1991. And note, the last few thousand F-1N serial numbers were reserved for replacement parts. If you damaged your F-1N top plate (with the serial number), they tossed the old one and gave you a new one with a new number. </p>

<p>You can check by the alphanumeric code - stamped in black- that is inside the film chamber, but mine doesn't seem to fit the standard format. I would be curious what date mine is, too. Here is a link to the site: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/DATECODE.HTM</p>

<p>Mine New F-1 serial is: 307098<br>

The code in the film chamber is: EG0848R</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Mine New F-1 serial is: 307098<br />The code in the film chamber is: EG0848R</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Interesting. It looks like your F-1N was built in August, 1992 (the “G08” part of your date code). Makes sense too with a serial of 307098. I’ll add you camera to my database. </p>

<p>While most Canon date codes only consist of a few characters, some cameras/lenses have many-charactered codes. The collector community believes these are “quality-control” cameras, yanked from the assembly line and thoroughly tested. Your F-1N may be one of these.</p>

<p>If you're collecting serial numbers, I have three of them kicking around, in varying states of disrepair:</p>

<p>101594 V704 Jul 1981<br>

142567 W123R Jan 1982<br>

188728 X119R Jan 1983</p>

<p>The only one of these which is mildly interesting is the first one, which appears to be from the first week or two of F-1N production. I think it was probably #1594 off the production line. </p>

• 2 weeks later...