Leica's policy on 'blemished' new items, warranties, etc

ray .

Just purchased a Leica M240 from a camera store via ebay. The seller, located in the US, has 100% positive feedback.

The sale came with a 14 day return policy offered by the seller.

The camera was advertised as 'pre-owned', meaning it has a 1 year warranty. However,

over the phone the dealer tells me that the warranty is actually 2 years, because it's essentially

a new camera, never touched by anyone other than Leica personnel. The dealer only handled it

in order to take it out of the box and photograph it. He is telling me that it apparently had a cosmetic blemish

upon manufacture that Leica fixed themselves, but are so fussy that they won't sell it as absolutely new. So

apparently it goes to the 'pre-owned' status.

I'm pretty confident it's not a refurbished camera, seller sounds honest, and the photos show what looks

like an absolutely pristine camera. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with this and can confirm or add to the story of how Leica's policy works with this.

Thanks

<p>Then either it's a new camera and you have a Leica warranty or it's not new and you don't. The seller cannot have it both ways. There's no such thing as "essentially a new camera." It's new or it's not.</p>

<p>You wrote, "(Leica) are so fussy that they won't sell it as absolutely new. So apparently it goes to the 'pre-owned' status." In 20+ years I've never heard of this. Leica doesn't sell factory seconds and I don't recall them selling factory refurbs either (although I may be wrong on this one). Did the camera come to you with Leica warranty documentation? </p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

I haven't received the camera yet, but pictures in the auction show a Leica Limited Pre-Owned warranty. Box on the warranty card where catalogue number, serial number, and 'date of service' I assume should be listed are blank. I'm guessing though that this is so he doesn't have to re-photograph each warranty card and owner's manual etc, since it appears he sells other pre-owned Leicas. A number of such sales are in his feedback, and the customers indicate that they are totally satisfied with the sale, and leave positive feedback. Total seller feedback is well over a thousand (multi thousand if I recall correctly without checking), with all positives.

Ray, enjoy it.

I understand with the financial outlay why you have concerns.... Use it that is the only real way you will find out about it.

Post some photos from it and I will post some photos from my M8 ... then you understand why the M8 is still the ultimate camera for BW....okay, that new mono might prove me wrong;)

<p>"Ray, I hope this is on the level. Keep us informed"</p>

<p>Ray is into his photography and the camera that works for him is a Leica.</p>

<p>I just added some humor.....hello, we are photographers.... some creativity in words and deeds.</p>

<p>We are not train spotters. </p>

This was part of seller's response to my question this morning for clarification:

<p>

<i>"...this camera is what Leica calls a QM2 - factory used. In the final cosmetic inspection they find a

slight cosmetic defect that they fix & you will never see it but Leica will not sell this camera as new - it is

called factory used - it comes with a Leica 2 year full warranty but I'm not allowed to state this in my listing.

So essentially it is a new camera that Leica calls factory used. When I opened the box to photograph the

camera it was like opening a new camera box. That is why I don't know the number of actuations & I would

prefer the purchaser to be the first one to use the camera. I only took it out of the box to photograph it. "

</i><p>

Here is a quote I found from Andy Piper via google:<p>

<i>"And they are - essentially - "factory seconds". Items never used, but with some minor cosmetic flaw. Come with full new Leica warranty (unlike Code U demo or refurbished equipment) - and a 10% price discount.<p>

I inspected the two lenses we got, and can't actually see a flaw, myself."</i><p>

Another comment:<i> "QM2,3,4 are Leica designations for the quality of ex-demo items released to dealers for sale. QM2 is the best and numbered upwards by decreasing quality."</i>

I'll post the name of the dealer after I receive the camera and can give an assessment of the item. I've told Henry via email who it is after he asked it be posted here, but haven't had a response back.

You could google 'Leica QM2' if you're inclined to.

Received the camera and because of some confusion over the warranty, made a call to Leica. Verified with the serial number that it is a new camera with a 2 year warranty. Classified QM2 with an unknown blemish or damage to the box. The only thing I can possibly guess at is that the bottom of the boxes the accessories come in are slightly discolored, but that seems pretty picky. Also marks on the surface of the bottom base plate protective plastic where it looks as if the camera might have been attached to a tripod that made a slight imprint. That too seems something you'd never notice, especially since it's just the plastic and those are never perfect. Or it could be something else cosmetic.

One thing though, is that there was a temporary non-response from the camera when I tried to wake it up after a 10 minute break after shooting for a few hours for the first time yesterday. Had to remove the battery and put it back in to reboot it. Leica told me this shouldn't happen; could be because the camera sat for awhile before sale or who-knows-what, and that I should send it in if it happens again. I haven't downloaded the latest firmware, so I don't know if that could have something to do with it.

Seller is The View Camera Store in Arizona, and he sells a lot of these along with new Leicas at regular price through his store. Appears to be a straight up guy, and the price I got the camera for was pretty good.

<p>What??!! The plastic is flawed? Mon Deux! You've been hoodwinked for sure! Wow, paying for hundreds of dollars less for a camera with plastic wrap bottom cover..they sure you coming. Hope the other problem isn't one. Then we need to see photos posted yes?</p>

Thanks John, and all..... It's quite a camera and I found myself using live view more than I expected to. In

the end I can't say the hit rate will be better than with the M9 or any other, but it's fun to shoot with. Color

seems as good as ever.