Cleaning Toyo 4x5 Ground Glass

william_foulk

I got a new piece of Toyo 4x5 ground glass for a recently purchased

kit view camera. The first time I used it I noticed what appeared to

be a finger print at the top. I tried cleaning it off with lens

cleaning liquid and a lens cloth. Now my glass is very streaked.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

William, I recently installed a brightening screen behind the groundglass on a Toyo 45AX. I removed the groundglass and cleaned it in a mild dishwashing detergent, rinsed it with warm water, and dried off both surfaces with a soft cloth (Fragile, thin glass. Dry it on a firm, but soft, flat surface. Try not to touch the ground side. It is prone to finger prints). Afterwards, I wiped the outside smooth surface to remove the fingerprints that had occured during the installation. You didn't specify whether you were referring to the smooth, or the ground surface. I assume that the streaks are on the ground surface. They were probably caused by the combination of the solvent action of the lens cleaning solution and the lens cloth rubbing on the rough ground surface. Warm detergent solution, a complete rinse, and wiping dry with a soft lintless cloth should solve the problem.

My Toyo similiarly developed fingerprints on the ground glass shortly after I bought it. I never could get them out- until I got caught in the worst downpour I've seen in Chicago. I was on the Lakefront- beautiful morning- when I saw the cloud turn dark and forebearing. Like a jack--- I decide that I can wait the storm out by taking cover in of the tunnels in the park and maybe even takes some pictures of the storm from inside the tunnel. The first pass of storm wasn't bad- and I figure it would all be over with and I could continue shooting.

By the second pass however the tunnel was starting to flash flood and I knew I needed to get out of there. I quickly packed up my gear and ran to the nearby field house and into the mens room. Inside several other had taken cover.

Everything was fine until the toilets started backing up. It was looking like it could flash flood too. Even worse a pond of raw sewage had developed at the entrance to the field house. The only way out was to step into the raw sewage and out into the typhoon like storm with no protection. After debating it in my mind a while, I decided I wasn't going out like that- not neck high in sh**. So I stepped through the raw sewage and out into the open.

I'm now deep inside of the park, near the lake's edge, out in the open, lightning strikes all around me, with a 15 pound METAL tripod and a 8 pound METAL view camera strapped to back, water soaking through my backpack and I'm pretty sure my lens is getting ruined. I'm running towards Lake Shore Drive, the whole park seeming like it might flood over. But I don't care anymore, all I can do is run.

I reach the Lawrence Ave Lake Shore drive underpass viaduct- and of course it's flooded. Cars that couldn't make it through are sitting submerged in the viaduct. The thought of swimming across crossed my mind- but I quickly came to my senses. The only way out was over the top- a mad suicide dash across a four lane expressway.

Alas it wasn't as bad as all that- traffic was backed up so badly I could waltz across. I then walked the rest of way home, where I found the lobby of my apartment building flooded. I was pretty sure the same had happened to my apartment. I live on the 1st floor, my window was open, and the apt is slightly below sea level. But my apt was dry thankfully. Now time to assess my equipment.

Water had indeed flowed into my backpack- there was about a cupful at the bottom of my backpack. Most of the camera except for the monorail was higher up the backpack and had not gotten submerge. I checked the lens- no water inside, though the shutter was sticky for a while. I dried the camera off thoroughly, but the camera has developed rust since then at the joints.

The ground glass- Sparkling Clean! So to clean your ground glass- JUST ADD WATER!

Eugene's advice seems a little safer, though.

Thos.Tomosy recommends this method : Using glass cleaning fluid (probably Windex in the States) Flood both side of the g/g and gently wipe with a tissue well wetted with fluid. Then rinse off under the tap. DO NOT wipe dry, use an air line (or canned air) to blow off the glass.

I've used this method and it works perfectly, tho I would'nt try it with composite screens.

Regards,Ian