Nikon D750 Service Advisory July 9

Dieter Schaefer

<p>Some Nikon D750 Digital SLR cameras manufactured in October and November of 2014 may not function properly sometimes resulting in a shading of a portion of images taken with the D750 camera. At the sites linked to below you can enter your D750's serial number to see if it is affected.<br>

<br /> Nikon USA: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/ibs1kfdg/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D750.html<br>

<br /> Nikon Europe: <a href="https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64946">https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64946</a></p>

<p>Isn't this the same problem discussed back in December 2014/January 2015 with a previous service advisory from Nikon back in January? http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00d3cZ</p>

<p>This is the previous link to Nikon USA, from 6, 7 months ago: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19336</p>

<p>I bought my D750 in December 2014. The strange part is that according to the previous, January service advisory, my D750 is affected and so far I have ignored that service advisory so that my D750 has not be repaired. On the new advisory, that same serial number is shown as not affected.</p>

<p>Upon reading Nikon's service advisory again, it looks like the new one is about a shutter issue. The previous one is due to reflections in the mirror box. If the shutter is blocking the image, there should be a totally dark strip. The previous issue is a darken shadow on the top part of the frame.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Has anybody here experienced anything related to this alleged problem?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's not an alleged problem when Nikon issues a service advisory. It's a problem known to Nikon that affects a number of camera bodies. They would never issue a service advisory unless there was a real problem. These things costs real money for Nikon and every other serious manufacturer that does the same thing.</p>

<p>Totally fed up with Nikon,had D600 with oil issues now my D750 had the flare issue and my camera is affected with this issue.Purchased my D750 in mid Jan 2015 so in less then 6 months recalled twice.First repair Nikon had my D750 for 29 days.Just give me a new camera that not affected with recalls,this is getting ridiculous.</p>

Totally agree with Pete.<br>No need to be overly defensive, Karl Johan. Nikon too can and will make mistakes.<br>It's a bad thing that people have to send in their newly acquired cameras for lengthy service twice in a short while. It is good that Nikon doesn't ignore these real problems and offers these fixes. (Better still would be if they indeed would replace the problem cameras with ones without issues. They can always put the repaired cameras into a factory refurbished sales program.)

<p>Years ago, I understand that NASA has a rule that they wouldn't send any commercial products into orbit within its first 5 years in production. The reason was that once it goes into space, it was next to impossible to repair. As a result, NASA was using very old computer IC chips ....</p>

<p>Nikon certainly has its share of problems lately, but so do Canon, Toyota ... among the best brands in their respective areas. The D600 oil issue was reported within a month of its introduction and so was the D750 flare issue. I received a D750 test unit from Nikon in November 2014. After using it for a few weeks, when I read about the flare issues, I thought it was mostly an exaggeration and went ahead and bought my own D750 in December. By January, Nikon was issuing the original service advisory.</p>

<p>While I wouldn't wait 5 years for high-tech electronics, if you don't have some sense of adventure, I would advice to avoid any new camera and lens for at least 3 to 6 months. In this information age, any tiny issue will be widely discussed on various forums within weeks, as in the case of the D600 and D750 as well as the D800 left AF issue and the 300mm PF VR issues.</p>

<p>Additionally, if you have a product that is under recall, unless it is affecting your unit so that it is unusable, do not send it in immediately. Let others send theirs in to compete for repair capacity. Unfortunately, Dan Brown got very excited about the new 300mm/f4 PF and received an early sample. It turned out to have the VR issue and he sent it in immediately, while Nikon was still evaluating a repair, which turned out to be a simple firmware upgrade. But he was stuck waiting for several weeks while Nikon was coming up with a fix. As soon as Nikon had the new firmware, they updated his lens firmware and then shipped it back to him immediately.</p>

<p>My advice: as long as your D750 is still working fine, wait a month or two before you send it in for the recall repair. My D750 is on the initial flare recall list and so far I am ignoring that recall. That issue has essentially no effect on my photography using that D750, which turns out to have a separate GPS connection issue. I am still waiting for a convenient time for me to send it in for that GPS repair within the one-year warranty.</p>

• 7 months later...