Raw HDR on 5k Imac (Ps CC)

<p>I need a new computer. And since Raw Hdr in PS CC is something i do basically every day i want to know how long it takes. My current mac book pro takes about 1min. to merge 3 36mp files. I want to know how much faster a 5k imac would be. <br>

HDR in PS6 is different than Raw HDR in CC. I think Raw HDR is way more cpu intensive.</p>

<p>It would probably be easier if you state which mac book you currently have (CPU and memory); there are plenty sites doing benchmarks with Photoshop, so based on those it could yield a rough figure of how much faster you could expect the CPU in the new iMacs to be compared to what you've got today - it's probably a faster way to get you the answer you need.</p>

<p>Assuming 16GB of RAM and an SSD in the iMac as well, and the highest-end model with Core i7: the CPU will be between 30 and 100% faster (*); so best case scenario processing takes 1:15, worst case around 1:50, assuming the process is fully CPU bound (which is unlikely). Realistically, based on the mix of benchmarks I saw, I'd you knock off about 30sec of that 2,5 minutes.<br>

As far as I can find in Adobe documentation, the HDR functions do not use the graphics card to speed up processing, so there would be no additional gain there. Other functions in PS CC however do benefit from having a pretty fast graphics card in the iMac, so you may find that the speed increases in some areas of the program.</p>

<p>The speed increases in raw processing speed from one generation to another aren't as noticeable anymore as they were 5-10 years ago; it's much more incremental steps now. But if you need a new system - well, any macbook pro or iMac you can get today is going to be faster than the one you have now. But no miracles.<br>

___<br>

(*) there are benchmarks in Photoshop, but most sites do not have comparison between notebooks and desktops, unfortunately. The big variance between 30 and 100 percent is also down to the Core i7 being quad core with hyperthreading (while your current is a dualcore CPU), which means it is much faster in proper multi-threaded programs. Photoshop is very multi-threaded, but I dare not say if the specific HDR module is.</p>