D700 - No copyright information any longer

erik_christensen3

<p>I have just noticed, that my D700 do not write the copyright information to the photos any longer. I have the latest software installed and did it again as an update, but still no information is written to the metadata.<br>

I have had the camera since it was launched and never had a malfunction before. Anything I can do or is it for repair? It is more or less only my backup camera to my D810, so I will survive, but I prefer to have a fully functional camera.</p>

<p>Have you tried re-entering your copyright information into the camera?</p>

<p>Not sure a D700 is still worth fixing, especially for something so trivial. You can always add your copyright info in post processing, such as LightRoom, in a batch fashion.</p>

<p>However, I would double check and make sure that no other functionality is not working.</p>

<p>I could not fall asleep, so I was thinking ! I had used it yesterday, and I just transferred the photos to LR5 and ther e I could the copyright information, so it is only on the LCD screen at the back of the camerahouse, and that I can live with. I have been using the JYC N-769/N1 GPS for a couple of years, and all of a sudden it did not show the data on the LCD screen too, and it also started to register wrong positions. Had a case yesterday where it registered a position I was on 3 weeks ago - about 300km from the actual position.<br>

Shun Cheung I will try your proposals and if not functioning I take it to Nikon Service Center in Saigon next time I go there, it costs a fraction of what you would pay.<br>

Thank you for your time and proposals.</p>

<p>Just 2+ suggestions:</p>

<p>And the most obvious I almost forgot: tool menu, copyright ON/OFF!</p>

<p>Then I'd do what Shun suggests as the first action. After that I'd take a test image and see if the copyright is there. If not repeat without your gps. If ok without the gps unit but not ok with the gps, I'd at least check the connection and possible battery in the gps unit.<br /> When you press the info button you get the info view on the back screen. Do you see a small copyright mark there about in the center?<br /> When viewing an image: if you scroll "down" 4 pages after the histogram view, what you have there? After the COMMENT: notation in the next page/view.<br>

Edit: See also what is the time/date of your camera as some gps units rely on this info when combining location info to the image. May not apply to your unit, though.</p>

<p>It is highly unprobable that something could change the firmware so that the camera would still be mainly functional.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It is highly unprobable that something could change the firmware so that the camera would still be mainly functional.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Totally agree. It is very unlikely that there is some software/firmware corruption that only affects one small feature. That was why I suggested that Erik check other functionalities.</p>

<p>Or it could be a simple setting change.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have used it the whole day today and have not experienced any malfunctions, and I have decided that I will not use any of the GPS units I have at present. The copyright information are in the metadata, but the GPS data are not, the former are seen in the LR and I do not think you see that on the LCD screen.<br>

When viewing the photo then the sequence is:<br>

1. Date and time, focus point<br>

2. Highlights<br>

3. Histogram<br>

4. Exif<br>

and then back to 1. Same as D300</p>

<p>Pressing the info button I do not see any copyright ikon -<br>

I checked the D810 no copyright icon, but everything are shown.</p>

<p>With a d700 firmware A=1.04 and B=1.03 and the tool menu set to have copyright info ON: I can see a copyright icon in the back info display. If the tool menu, when the copyright info is selected to OFF, then no copyright icon on the back screen.</p>

<p>My sequence of the exif consists of 4 pages. The copyright info content is in the last one. Strange. A difference due to jpg versus nef file format? I have nef.</p>

<p>Some gps units communicate serially via the 10 pin connector. If the system is not functioning correctly - communication errors are possible.</p>

<p>Kari Oinonen - I always use NEF. The GPS system was not functioning, so now I am not using any GPS at all, and the result is still the same, no copyright information.<br>

I cannot see any copyright icon at all, but I will have Nikon Service Center to have a look at it later this year, as it is not that often, I go to Saigon any longer.</p>

<p>@Erik - Personally before I sent the camera anywhere I would check out your metadata with another program beyond lightroom. Lightroom does have the ability to set metadata presets which may be interfering with your original copyright from the camera.<br>

I'd try just reading the exif data directly with a program like exiftool (windows) or such. Nikon's own view-nx1 has limited ability to view exif data too. HTH</p>

<p>I can find the copyright information in LR, Exiftool, VietNX2, ViewNX-I and ACDSee, but not on the LCD screen on the camera house. The gps data are not in any of the above programs except a very few from 1 day early August, but they all showed the same position despite the locations were about 300km apart! After the re-installation of the camera software, I tried a factory reset, however, still same lack of info.</p>

<p>My d700 has a copyrihgt icon adout in the center, a bit to the right, in the info display when I have set the copyright ON in the tool menu.</p>

<p>Could it be so, that the copyright state (ON/OFF) is a separete from copyright info content. That could explain why the copyright icon is missing (info screen) and still the content is there (exiftool, lightroom etc.)?</p>

<p>After the factory reset the copyright icon appears on the LCD screen, however, the page with the actual information do not appear. I tried to switch off the copyright, but leaving the menu by OK or arrows the icon remains on the LCD and when entering the menu again, it is still ON ! Until I get to Saigon I will add the information in LR, if I find it necessary.</p>