P2000 and P2 lenses Elmaron & Colorplan

d_joao

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

I have bought a second-hand P2000 that came with an Elmaron P2 3,4 200mm all-black lens (Made in Germany). I have now tested it at home and the image is completely out of focus. I have read in another post that these lenses require a sleeve or an adapter so that they can properly sit in a P2000. I have two questions:<br>

1. the owner has a choice of either the Elmaron or a Colorplan P2 90mm and he has offered to exchange the Elmaron for the Colorplan. Besides the focal length is there a SIGNIFICANT image quality difference between both? I assume I would have the compatibility problem with both.<br>

<br />2. where can I find this sleeve/adapter? I am based in Austria.<br>

<br />Thank you for your help<br>

Cheers,<br>

Joao</p>

<p>If it fits in the helicoid, it is compatible. I think it is correct that you are probably too close to focus. If it doesn't fit in the helicoid, then you need the adapter sleeve to fit P2 lenses onto the P2000. I would look at ebay if you need this. However, since you did not mention that it does not fit in the projector it sounds as though you have the sleeve already.</p>

<p>In terms of performance, I think you will find the Colorplan the better, since this is the projection lens Leica have always made a big deal about. They only ever mentioned the other lenses in passing. In particular, they said the Super-Colorplan was equivalent to an APO camera lens, although this is not what you have. Whether the difference is significant I can't say, as I have never tried both, my guess is the difference may be about the same as between a 1970s 200mm Leica Visoflex lens and a more modern 50mm Summicron from the 80s, if this analogy is any help to you.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Joao, I think Robin said almost everything. And please consider: 200mm projection lenses were used to do projections in public events and/or with multiple projectors, which were usually positioned 10-25m from the screen.<br /> Also the 90mm colorplan is more luminous, one full stop from 2.5 to 3.4!!! (100%)<br /> There are Colorplan versions for glass/plastic mounted slides and for cardboard ones, the latter popping into a bulged shape after some seconds of heating up, and that Colorplan is called CF (curved focus?) if I recall right. Try to avoid the CF version unless you want to project original Kodachromes/carboard mounted slides.</p>

<p>Good light,</p>

<p>Knut</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your contributions.<br>

It is compatible, I was just trying to focus too close to the screen. Indeed, it does require a big distance but as I have other projectors for short range I have decided to keep the Elmaron, a big projection outside is a show worth trying one day and the image quality as I have finally seen it yesterday is miles away from my two other projectors (a cheap Leitz from the 70´s with a heavily scarred lens and a P150 from 99), really stunning image.<br>

Also I am not sure about what model the Colorplan is, so playing it safe I have a great lens anyway.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You can fit P2 lenses on P projectors if you have the sleeve adapter, and luckily D Joao has one already. I have both 90mm Super-Colorplan and Colorplans and I have to say I cannot tell the difference. I would steer clear of any Colorplan-CF lenses myself, the flat field ones are more predictable.</p>

<p>Any vintage of Colorplan is a great projector lens.</p>

Robin Smith