underexposure

bill_force

<p>The Main-MPU (motherboard) controls the aperture lever when set to automatic exposure mode. In manual where I "preset" the aperture physically to a chosen F stop it then adjusts the shutter speed to the appropriate exposure combination and it's spot on. I'll can still use it for my legacy lenses as I have to preset the aperture anyway and it seems to be right on with my old manual lenses. Make a good back up to my D1H.</p><div>00dErN-556317884.jpg.6e2f2383933888e2b0da2f57d821f3be.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Bill. But you should still be able to use aperture priority, yes? Just trying to understand whether the meter and aperture following tab are still behaving correctly - if so, the aperture lever just needs to open fully, and the aperture ring on the lens will limit how far the aperture opens, as you've discovered in manual mode.<br />

<br />

Forgive me prodding, I would just hate to find that the camera has somehow got into a mode where custom function 22 is set to 1 without looking like it is (I'd actually try toggling the setting in case there's memory corruption that you can clear...), or that the behaviour is equivalent to that because of the aperture lever control going wrong in some way, and for you to think the camera is working less well than it is. Unless aperture priority goes wrong as well, it sounds as though you're just stuck in F3 emulation mode (no auto-aperture)!<br />

<br />

Good luck.</p>

<p>Andrew, I like your theory but it doesn't work like that. In Aperture mode with the custom #22 setting to make the diaphragm automatic and changing the F/stop in "A" mode the diaphragm doesn't move. The meter moves but the diaphragm is static and it exposes the same as it does in "P" mode. If I change #22 to manual F/stop and let the camera decide the shutter speed it's spot on for exposure. I'll just leave it like that and use with the manual focus lenses. Otherwise the camera works great so I'll just use it as a backup. I also have a D1H and another D1 that are "A" O.K. I like the D1H best for ergonomics but the D1's NEF colors are better converted to Tiff for printing.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Andrew Garrard, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!<br>

I was ready to come to terms with the idea that my immaculate D1 was broken when it started recording black images (or nearly black it turned out). Inspection showed that the lens was always stopping down to minimum aperture. Having never used the camera with non-G type lenses (none of mine have an aperture ring) I'd forgotten about that custom setting. I've no idea how that came to be set wrongly. </p>