Damn I bought another tripod--a Gitzo this time.

Dan Deary

<p>I have a closet full of old tripods and never thought I would buy another. However I saw this gem, a vintage Gitzo 124 Sport Luxe Performance model for only $8 in a thrift store and I couldn't resist. It came with a nice little compact #275 ballhead. No center column extension. It has 4 section legs that have 3 spread positions which makes it ideal for close to ground work. It's aluminum of course. Weighs about 4 3/4 lbs. With legs fully extended with a height of 60 inches, it is not as sturdy as I would like but it is not much of a hardship to use just the 3 leg section. On the interweb it states the Sport models were made between 1981 thru 1994 in France. The offset #275 ballhead is a pleasent surprise and I could mount it on another tripod if I was inclined to do so. It is supposed to handle up to 11 lbs. As with almost all Gitzo's extending the legs are a bit of a chore--a common complaint it seems. For just $8 I'm not complaining much. Anyone else have any experience with this item?</p>
Dan Deary

<p>My first Gitzo was an used 224 "Reporter", similar to your 124 but the next size larger. A #1 series tripod is compact and reasonably serviceable as long as there isn't much wind. The leg joints are easier to live with than you might think. A quarter twist to tighten or loosen, and they don't jam.</p>

<p>The foolproof way to keep the legs from twisting is to open from the top joint and close from the bottom. That way you can hold the section above the collar where it won't slip and turn.</p>

<p>Gitzo heads are not very good. They don't hold much weight off center and the QR won't keep the camera from turning. Get a Really Right Stuff BH-30 and a plate to fit your camera, and you'll be set for life.</p>

<i>"Gitzo heads are not very good."</i><br>Ouch, Edward. That hurts. Gitzo heads are magnificent, quite excellent at what they are supposed to do. But, just like the tripods themselves, maybe not all of them.<br>Perhaps too much for a Sport series tripod, but any of the Rationelle series of heads is great at what they are asked to do. And Daniel says the fallen-over ballhead that came with the Sport Luxe Performance is a pleasant surprise.<br>So what would you say is wrong with what Gitzo head?<br><br>Daniel, my lightest Gitzo (is this your first Gitzo?) is a Reporter Studex Performance (i forgot the exact name and number), a series 3 tripod. These lighter things from the Gitzo range, like the bigger series (my main tripods are Gitzo series 5) are made to last forever. But are not as stable as they should be. They are o.k. though, and will carry quite some weight. As long as you don't touch the tripod during exposure and don't use the centre column for more than an inch or two extra height. They are well made, firm, but just too light. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that series 3 tripod i have myself. A series 1 as that Sport...? But then again, just use it and see what it will do for you. For that sort of money i too would get one.

<p>The off-set Gitzo #275 ballhead is vintage and as a result it does not have a QR plate. Don't really miss that much as with a ballhead I find it fairly easy to attach the camera. Here is a picture of it.</p><div>00dOdC-557662184.jpg.95b6db09f0058172a27342aa2d9e0e0b.jpg</div>
Dan Deary

<p>I have what appears to be a #275 head buried in my treasure trove, along with three or four other Gitzo heads purchased in a desperate attempt to find something that really works, short of an expensive ball head. What's wrong with them? Read my first post. If you use a tripod only occasionally, and within 5 degrees of dead level, just about head will work. What's the fun in that? For $8, the #275 would be a bargain if only to keep papers from blowing off your desk ;)</p>

<p>I eventually bought an Arca Swiss B1 head, which I used for over 10 years. By that time, I could have purchased two or three B1's for what I had wasted on others. It holds everything I put on it, at any angle, including an 8 pound view camera. The Arca clamp and beveled plate system doesn't slip or rotate, at least when using RRS plates which conform to the shape of the camera.</p>

<p>The B1 is now my backup and an RRS BH-55 the one I use daily.</p>

You paint with a too broad brush, Edward.<br>There's not a single Gitzo head in my kit that doesn't do what my Arca Swiss ballhead does, and doesn't do it better too.<br>Except for being compact. Which the Arca does better, with a smaller top and not extending in several directions as far as my Gitzo heads. But the Arca also doesn't do that very well, being quite big and heavy, and it doesn't get used much by me.<br>And what QR?<br>In other words: though there certainly may be Gitzo heads that are a size too small for Big Things, it depends on what head you pick. Just as with the legs: a series 1 Gitzo can't hold an 8x10" Sinar very well. That doesn't mean that Gitzo legs are not very good.

<p> Thanks for your responses. I guess we can agree there is no perfect tripod or ballhead for every purpose. I expected some opinions to vary. The lightweight Gitzo tripod I got cheap is of very good quality but fully extended the legs are a bit "spindly" if that is a word. I would not put anything heavier than my Rolleiflex on it and even then I would not fully extend the legs.. For close ground work it is ideal with a SLR or medium format. For absolute stablity though I would go with one of several Manfrotto tripods or even my wood Zone VI. For absolute convenience and simple setups my old Welt Zoom-leg works well. The ballhead feature is new for me and the Gitzo #275 will suit me well for occasional use. It is very clean, works smoothly and sets up very secrurely. I'm not a professional so I'm not so picky. I just feel lucky I found this.</p>
Dan Deary

That's the thing with most gear. Things can't be classified as either good or no good, but have to be assessed and judged and then appreciated for what they can be used for. A screwdriver is not a bad tool because you can't hammer in nails with a screwdriver very well. It's a bad choice to use a screwdriver when what you really need is a hammer.<br>I'm sure i could find some good use fot that tripod and head too. Congratulated with that find!

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I think you got a bargain. I had that Gitzo head for many years. It works fine, but it is not as nice as, say, the Kirk B1, but it is much older. There are many things in tripod-dom which make marginal improvements over the years, but nothing is really revolutionary. The "bad" thing about the Gitzo ballhead is that it has no separate tension adjustment which means aligning your camera is more difficult and, after tightening the camera, is liable to sag a little, which you have to compensate for. If you want to avoid these issues it will cost you an extra $300 - $500+ - probably not worth it unless your camera lives on a tripod.</p>
Robin Smith