Color setting Adobe RGB results in sRGB files

p_c10

<p>I've set the color space for my Nikon D700 to Adobe RGB. However, the files that result have an embedded sRGB profile. Is there a way I can correct that? Is my camera malfunctioning?<br>

Thanks in advance for your help.</p>

<p>I think I've come up with a partial answer. Whether the file is RAW or a jpeg, when I open it in Adobe Camera Raw or CS3 Photoshop, the profile remains AdobeRGB.<br>

However, when I import a RAW or jpeg file into <em>Aperture</em> and then export a version, I see an Embedded Profile Mismatch window, because the embedded profile is sRGB. And if I export a jpeg as an an original, I'm told it is missing a profile.<br>

So apparently the problem is in my Aperture settings. Not sure of my next step.</p>

<p>Richard and Howard,<br>

To answer your questions, I'm transferring the files with a card reader. I'm not processing them. I'm checking the profiles with Camera Raw, Photoshop and Aperture.<br>

Yes, the files begin with "_"<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Not familiar with Aperture, but most image-manipulation software has a Properties menu that allows setup of defaults. One of the options may be something like "Keep original Colour Space when importing images".</p>

<p>Personally I find Adobe's handling of colour spaces a bit dubious, and switch off any colour profile translation apart from that for monitor hardware. In any case the difference between Adobe RGB and sRGB is pretty minimal (slightly wider green reference point and a true 2.2 Gamma as opposed to incorporating the crazy linear region of sRGB).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Whether the file is RAW or a jpeg, when I open it in Adobe Camera Raw or CS3 Photoshop, the profile remains AdobeRGB.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In the case of RAW and ACR that is somewhat fortuitous - the setting in ACR just happens to be AdobeRGB; it can easily be changed and then the RAW would have an other color space assigned. You can't really "check" the color space with ACR - whatever the current settings are will be applied to process the RAW file in.<br>

Ditto the JPEG - if opened in photoshop, the settings under Color Settinfs are applied - if "preserve embedded profile" is selected, it remains AdobeRGB. But there are other settings that would influence that assignment - for example, the choice "convert to working RGB" which would convert to whatever is defined under "working RGB". So again, checking isn't really an option - unless you know that no changes will be made (as defined under Color Settings).<br>

Can't help with Aperture - but there are likely similar settings to consider.</p>

<p>Generally speaking - any EXIF reader can be used to check the Color Space.</p>

<p>Import images into Aperture whether jpeg, or raw, tiff, in Adobe RGB. Edit images in Adobe RGB. When exporting, determine the purpose. If the purpose is net sharing, preset export to sRGB. If exporting to, say a Flash card for printing, stick with Adobe RGB as a jpeg, if the printer accepts jpegs only, but for printing, the printer needs the wider color gamut of Adobe RGB. Net sharing does not require, or need Adobe RGB.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"......the printer needs the wider color gamut of Adobe RGB."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd take issue with the use of the word <em>needs</em> there Don. Only if the printer gamut is capable of showing the slightly relocated green primary of AdobeRGB, and only then if the original scene includes a saturated green or cyan that falls between the boundaries of sRGB and AdobeRGB.<br>

I'm not saying sRGB is a great colour space by any means, just that AdobeRGB ain't that amazing either. And I'd be much more concerned about the spectral colours (pure cyans and yellows) that fall down the gaps between the camera sensor's over-sharp RGB Bayer filtration.</p>

<p>Adobe RGB is obsolete. sRGB profile for anything web or consumerish like jpeg. ProPhotoRGB for anything involving quality photo printing or editing. Good inkjets have profiles way outside AdobeRGB.</p>

<p>A raw file is a raw file so colorspace makes no difference, however for the jpeg it does. Set all jpegs to sRGB is my opinion. There are also fewer possible skintones in Adobe RGB compared to sRGB in an jpeg file.</p>

<p>In the past Nikon didn't embed a color profile in their files, they would only tag it. Has this really changed? Maybe the OP is mistaken.</p>

<p>Update: I've checked some old files and couldn't find an embedded profile either in NEF or JPG files straight from the camera.</p>