Mirror flaps when I crank the film transportation

hans_wahlgren

<p>I just got my hands on a probably amlost unused Bronica SQ-A. But the camera has an issue. At least... Then I crank the film transportation the mirror goes down but the crank doesn't stop. Instead the mirror flaps back and (probably) the shutter releases. I can turn the crank as many revolutions as I like. The shutter might be the next issue, but why doesn't the crank stop? Any suggestions on that?<br>

Regards Hans </p>

<p>The shutter button is not stuck.<br /> The multiple exposure lever is activated when I have no film, but else it's deactivated.<br /> I can only remove the lens when the crank is in a spot where the mirror is down. If I crank a little bit more the mirror flaps up again and then I can't remove the lens. I also have noticed that the mirror up lever don't give any effect on the mirror. Can you advice how to make sure the lens is attatched correctly? In the position where I can remove the lens I can also put it back. But only at that position.</p>

<p>There should only be one position where the lens is easily removed, and that is where the lens and body pins are synchronized in the cocked position. </p>

<p>When cranking the wind lever with the lens off, does the mirror lock down as it should?</p>

<p>Correct, but it keeps the shutter from firing. I don't know Hans. It sounds like there is something hanging up in the body. </p>

<p>When you cock the shutter with the lens off the body, does it require pressing in the release on the side of the lens mount to de-cock the lens?</p>

<p>Hans, you can download a PDF version of the manual at <a href="http://www.butkus.org/chinon/">butkus.org</a>. But beyond obtaining a copy of the manual, the first thing you should do with a 30-40 year old film camera is get that thing into a certified repair shop for a CLA (clean, lube, adjust). Get it into good shape, then load it up with film and go out on a nice day to enjoy using it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is the mirror lockup lever in the 'C' position (that's for Continuous, in which case, the mirror will crank down as you wind, then pop up again. If the MLU is set to 'S' (Single) it will clear after winding and the mirror will stay down. Also note the mirror does not auto-return after a shot -- different from most 35mm SLRs. </p>

<p>There may also be a problem with the interlocking between the back and the body. For what appears at first sight to be a relatively simple box, there are a surprising number of permutations and combinations of behavior for these cameras.</p>