Voigtlander Super Heliar 15mm with 72mm filters? Yes!

<p>Super Heliar 15mm and 72mm filters? Yes!<br>

Since I consider the only industry made filter holder available for the Voigtlander Super Heliar 15mm so much expensive for me, and requires 77mm filters, I wondered if I couldn’t make one myself. With a bit of ability and a lot of patience and after a lot of mistakes and lost services I finally achieved the result shown in the illustration. It allows me to work with my 72mm thread filters, absolutely free of vignettes. The mine is specific for use with a Canon vT camera, but a similar device can easily be made for any others camera. I tested the holder with a roll of b&w with an excellent result; no one crop at the corners. This holder obviously don’t touch the lens barrel and allows free access to the rings of exposure and f.stop settings, but the lens cap only can be accessed without filters. The holder don’t need to be removed for change of roll film.<br>

</p>

<p> </p><div>00dLUv-557224284.thumb.jpg.be3aded222be5d21ebc5014ec41927d6.jpg</div>

<p>No! What you see is the camera with the lens cap and the holder, but without filter. It's necessary to remove the lens cap to thread the filters in the holder, because the distance between the front barrel of the lens and the filter is shorter than the lens cap width. You can see other ilustrations at my portfolio.<br>

Regards!</p>

<p>With the filter separated from the lens by the intervening lens shade the question is (1) how is the holder held and (2) does the distance degrade the on film image when the filter may unavoidably carries on its surface a bit of dust or other particles? </p>

<p>I don't think most lens hoods do a lot of work once the focal length gets this wide. This 15 looks like the earlier TM lens with permanently fixed hood. Yes I suppose dust on the exposed filter could reduce contrast. I assume the filter holder is screwed into the tripod bush; big but effective. You could try to keep an eye out for a centre graduated ND filter to cut down on light fall-off at corners and edges. They make them for larger format cameras. Neat job.</p>