Hooray!!! Just Got My Diopter For M3: Huge Difference! :

<p>Sounds uppity for someone with his first Leica, an M3 in pristine condition, (looks brand new), to be giving advice for practiced Leica folks, but<br>

<strong>IF YOU'RE EYESIGHT IS EVEN A LITTLE BAD AND YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY FOCUSING WELL, GET A DIOPTER!</strong><br>

I bought a 1.25 from China for $80, an "Offer" Bid on Ebay, usual price $100. My eyes are good and though I don't legally need glasses for driving I do wear a pair with weak prescription. I have an astigmatism too. But for regular activities I've never worn glasses. Yet focusing my M3 was difficult, I think some of that due to difficulty in rangefinder focusing. I have the same in a Fuji 6x9.<br>

The diopter I picked a 1.25 for, I use a 1.0 for reading, the drug-store type. Some told me the Leica M3 eyepiece was at -0.5, dunno why, so I figured with that a 1.25 would hit the spot. And it does, I'll have to get used to the focusing gradually, I know that, but with the diopter there was an immediate improvement, very noticeable, much clearer view, and easier to focus by a good bit.<br>

Anyway, that's my Diopter Report, it's a regular Leica Diopter by the way, though it came from China. <br>

The expenditure is well worth $80 and I urge any others, even without really bad vision, if you need aid get a diopter.</p>

<p>Get 12, give 6 for Christmas presents, and 6 for you to pre-set for any occasion. Sleeping, bathroom, car etc.</p>

<p><em>(joke)</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

<em>Here's where I bought it with the OFFER "BID":</em><br>

<em>http://www.ebay.com/itm/261418163758?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT</em><br>

<em> </em></p>

Hooray, William. Tnough you might consider a post on the Leica RF forum, huh? . (We peasants have modestly lesser appreciaton of the products of Das Leica GMBH product.) But not to misunderstand. We admire an honest to gosh Leica especially with a nifty green leather case. Green gecko covering of body even better...Never saw a pristine one .. Be sure now you let it out off leash to get brassed and well used..:- ). Look for the clip on selenium light meter, or does it have one, must have..I forget). And lo the other goodies and the lenses,heavens the lenses. Sweet confections...But really. Enjoy your find. Keep it EXC + nice and trade up later. Bonds are not holding value lately...Nor are old Minoltas and Topcons nor Mirandas.

Aloha, gs

<p>I have bad eyes and astigmatism myself, and haven't found the M3 viewfinder to be as clear as I thought it should be. But I shoot with my glasses on all the time regardless of camera, and generally have either not needed a diopter beyond that or I adjust the adjustable ones that are built-in on some cameras but still keep my glasses on.<br /><br />So my question is -- now that you have the diopter, are you shooting with it alone? Or are you shooting with your glasses and the diopter in place?</p>

<p>Craig, I never shot with my glasses. What I had before the diopter was a magnifier, which magnified the whole view making the area of view smaller. That was some help. I'll just use the diopter alone. In fact, with the latter already correcting in some way one problem, seeing near, using glasses for seeing far may make things less clear. Glasses on top of glasses.Though I could try it as an experiment. I don't like glasses with a camera, and the M3 has a reputation for scratching them.<br>

I've seen some kind or soft attachment, you know, rubber-like for Leica Ms. But that would seem to put the glass in glasses too far away from the finder circular window to do much good.<br>

My viewfinder window I can see with a magnifying glass has some dust or something against the window that lets light in for viewfinder. I'm going to get a CLA soon, so maybe after I'll get a brighter viewfinder which certainly would help focusing. Yours might not be brighter for the same reason.<br>

Here when others addressed my post about difficulty focusing, several spoke of rangefinders being like that. I have one other rangefinder: a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder, that also is a pain to focus.<br>

Good luck with your own less than clear viewfinder!</p>

<p>Use the diopter with your distance prescription without your glasses. It won't correct for astigmatism, which may cause some doubling in the rangefinder.One eye is usually better in that regard. If it's your left eye, like mine, a Leica becomes a little awkward to use, but not impractical.</p>

<p>The M3 has a .90x viewfinder, and arguably the most accurate rangefinder as a result. Newer cameras with frame lines for a 28 mm lens are .58x. The rangefinder window is proportionately smaller. I need a magnifier (Leica 1.5x) for 90mm and 135 mm focusing, even for best results with a 50mm used wide open. That's something to consider for a 90mm at f/2 or a 135mm (including the superbly sharp Elmar 135 f4) for older eyes and an M3.</p>

<p>The diopter can be used with the magnifier, screwed into the eyepiece end. There are cheaper, 3rd party magnifiers, some with a rubber eyecup. Magnifiers are more complex than they appear. There are at least two elements in a Galilean telescope configuration.</p>

<p>Edward,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The diopter can be used with the magnifier, screwed into the eyepiece end. There are cheaper, 3rd party magnifiers, some with a rubber eyecup. Magnifiers are more complex than they appear. There are at least two elements in a Galilean telescope configuration."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What screws into what? Like to try it.<br>

Thanks </p>

<p><a name="pagebottom"></a></p>

<p>The Leica eyepiece bezel is threaded internally, as is the eyepiece on a Leica magnifier. The diopter is threaded (M) only on one end. If you use the diopter alone, screw it into the eyepiece. If you use the magnifier, screw the magnifier into the eyepiece and, for use without glasses, screw the diopter into the eyepiece of the magnifier.</p>

<p>Both the diopter and magnifier have a rubber bezel around the eyepiece. The M2 and M3 Leicas have a metal bezel, which makes short work of plastic eyeglass lenses. Somewhere along the line this was changed. My M9 has a rubber bezel.</p>

<p>I believe some of the third party magnifiers have a focusing ring. You don't need a separate diopter with these devices. Focusing comes at the price of a much larger size. The Leica magnifier is about the size of the tip of my pinky finger, and has a lanyard attaching it to a leather case which fits on the strap.</p>

<p>William -- thanks. I always shoot with glasses and while it's not ideal it generally works for me. I got the Leica a couple of years ago and as much as I had always lusted after one the disappointment was that I find my Canonet GIII QL17 easier to focus. I know -- that sounds sacreligious but it's true. My left eye is my "good" eye (less sharper, but stronger than the right). The astigmatism is always a factor for me beyond diopter issues. Putting my finger next to my eye seems to correct it, but it gets complicated when I need the same finger for focusing, aperture, etc. :)</p>

<p>Good luck o you Craig. I'not aware of exactly what my astigmatism does or rather what effect it has on my vision. I'll ask that next time I go to my Doc.<br>

No the Leica is not an easy focus camera for me either. I just trust I'll get better as I use it more.</p>