Best Carry-On Camera Backpack

sridip_nag1

<p>Hello Everyone,<br>

Going on a trip soon, and need to carry a good portion of my equipment with me. Although I have the Lowepro X200 roller bag, it's too big to fit under the seat, and they charge extra for anything you check-in. I'm already checking in a regular suitcase with clothes/etc. This is a local (U.S.) flight on a small commuter airline. The size for the personal carry-on is: 18"x8"x14".<br>

The one option I am looking at is the ThinkTank Airport Commuter (backpack). It's external dimension are: 18"x8.5"x12.5". I think the 1/2" on the middle dimension can get through the airport gustapo (maybe).<br>

Can anyone advise on the ThinkTank Commuter; what their experience is with it, or some other similar carry-on sized bag (backpack) or even a bag that is small, yet has wheels.<br>

I need to get something ordered from Amazon or B&H quick (within the next few days) to get it in my hand before the trip.<br>

Any advice / help is greatly appreciated.</p>

-- hide signature --

<p>I'm taking along:<br>

- Bodies: D90 & D800E<br>

- Lenses: 160-600, 14-24, 24-70<br>

- Flash: SB910<br>

- Accessories: rechargers, cables, memory cards<br>

- Laptop: 13" laptop & small WD Passport HD, chargers, cables, mini iPad</p>

<p>I have two Airport Commuter backpacks, and they will easily hold the equipment you list. The thickness is closer to 10" if you enclose a laptop or fill the inside pockets with miscellaneous gear. It fits the template for a regular domestic or international flight, but I'm uncertain about a local cloudhopper. You might be obliged to check it at the gate, but it won't get tossed around by baggage handlers and conveyor belts.</p>

<p>The Commuter is 7" deep inside, and can handle a pro DSLR with a grip and not bulge the lid. I carry a Nikon D3, 17-35/2.8, 28-70/2.8 (attached), 70-200/2.8 and 300/4 AFS. The gross weight is 35#, which will cause more concern than the dimensions.</p>

<p>I generally carry a laptop in a separate bag, called my "personal" item, which fits under the seat nicely. That carries the power supply, a portable hard drive or two and other related items.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This is a local (U.S.) flight on <strong><em>a small commuter airline.</em></strong> The <strong><em>size</em></strong> for the personal carry-on is: 18"x8"x14".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I suggest that you check if the airline has a ‘carry-on’ <strong>WEIGHT</strong> restriction as well as the size restriction for ‘carry-on’. I think you have about 6kgs in cameras and lenses, not including the computer and accessories.</p>

<p>I have been weighed twice (my carry on gear that is) both times I was inside the SIZE restriction, but I was over the weight restriction for ‘carry on’; both times there was a 7kg limit for carry-on and both were domestic flights, not US though. I got around it by taking out one camera and carrying it as ‘my camera’ additional to the one ‘carry-on bag’ that I was allowed. (The terms of the ticket then, was, ‘one camera’ specified as additional to the ‘one carry-on bag’ so too was ‘one personal computer’ additional to . . . etc. BUT those terms have now changed on both these domestic carriers and their carry on limit now is “a <strong>combined</strong> weight limit of 7 kgs”.)</p>

<p>I think that it would pay for you to check into all the rules. </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>I use an older Lowepro Mini Trekker. It's dimensions are approximately 18x12x7 and it fits easily under the seat of both large jets and smaller regional aircraft. My typical gear is a Nikon D7000, 12-24mm, 18-70mm, 70-300mm, 35mm lenses, SB600 flash, Canon G11, and assorted accessories. I can also fit an iPad in the front pocket.</p>

<p>I have the Lowepro X200 roller carry-on and the Lowepro Pro Trekker 400. Fantastic cases in every way possible, but too big for my intended purpose for the upcoming trip. These cases hold everything (I think including the kitchen sink), but alas, they are too big. I'm wanting to find a backpack so I can take it with me w/o having to check it in. <br>

I have done my due diligence with weights and measures, as I do for everything under the sun. The ThinkTank Commuter, as far as I see / find, is going to fit everything I want to carry, and still be w/i size and weight restrictions, as a personal carry-on bag.<br>

My understanding is that if it "looks" close to what the size should be, you're probably ok, but they do check the weight. I usually make sure to be at least 10% under the max weight limit, for all my baggage, checked-in or carry-on. </p>

<p>I didn't make specific comment about a bag earlier because I misread your Opening Post and I thought that you were stipulating <strong>wheels</strong> were a must. Sorry.</p>

<p>I just measured my Lowepro '<strong>CompuTrekker AW</strong>' and it makes the dimensions that you specify (got to squash it about 1/2 inch to get to 8.5").</p>

<p>It is designed with the intent of carrying a laptop (hence 'Compu') and the computer sits at the bottom (against your back) in its own, externally accessible and well padded section. It is well balanced and firm on the back for carriage. <a href="/photo/13299754">I can stuff a lot in it if necessary.</a></p>

<p>My particular model backpack is now discontinued, but I am sure there is a replacement which is close - <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292331-REG/Lowepro_LP34030_PEF_CompuTrekker_AW_Backpack.html">I found this. </a></p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>I strongly recommend against a roller for travel. If you need wheels, get a folding luggage cart, which can be checked at the gate if necessary. (Spirit Air will charge you $100 for that. Real airlines will usually do it gratis.) Many airports have luggage carts for rent beyond the inspection point, but not O'Hare, Midway or Milwaukee.</p>

<p>Wheels automatically add 2 to 5 pounds to the dead weight. They don't climb stairs well, and don't roll on grass, gravel or cobblestones. They're okay for smooth floors and jobs with elevators or ramps, and I've used them for larger setups, lighting and LF work. A straight backpack is better for use on public transportation. It's really hard to get on board and down narrow aisles while hoisting a roller. While I've never been challenged for a heavy backpack, I've had to check rollers twice for being overweight (Prague and Beijing).</p>