clean inside Hasselblad PM5 ?

Kat D.

<p>I'm selling my two Hasselblad PM5 viewfinders. One is in near-mint condition. The other one is, too, though that one has a small (1 mm in diameter) rust-colored spot inside glass, near the edge. I suspect it's fungus because it's darker in the center.</p>

<p>I see a lot of screws around the edges of viewfinder. I wonder if I should unscrew them to try to access and clean the spot before selling. </p>

<p>I have never repaired camera equipment and don't want to attempt this if I risk causing more problems. I'm leaning toward selling as it is, pointing out that the spot is there. But if someone here says it would be very easy to take apart and clean, I might attempt.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Forget about disassembling a PM5 finder. If the spot is on one of the external surfaces, it should be easy to clean. You can remove the eyepiece to access the exit side of the pentaprism. The prism should have total internal reflectance, but is usually silvered too. If the silver has deteriorated, there's nothing you can do that would be cheaper than buying a new (used) finder.</p>

<p>Hi Edward. Thanks for writing.</p>

<p>There is no deterioration inside the viewfinder. There is just one little spot, about one mm in diameter <em>under</em> the glass but close to the surface (and close to an edge) when I look at the viewfinder upside down. It would not be accessible via the eyepiece (I have unscrewed those to install my diopters, so I know those can come off). </p>

<p>It's really a small imperfection, but I thought I might be able to get rid of it before trying to sell the PM5. Sounds like I won't be able to do this. I couldn't find anyone on the internet who had done it either. So I will just point out the spot when I sell. </p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>