Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro Non-USM

ryanjoseph

<p>I am acquainted with somebody that is selling the Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro Non-USM. He wants 150 dollars for it. The lens is in mint condition and everything checks out on it. The price seems right but I am still on the fence about buying such an old lens. According to what I read on the internet it's image quality should be comparable with the USM model. When I work in macro I usually manual focus, so the lack of USM doesn't seem to be that big of a drawback to me.<br>

I would be upgrading from a Phoenix 100mm F3.5 Macro with a matched diopter, which I can sell for about 100 USD. If I sell the Phoenix I would basically only be out 50 bucks buying the Canon lens. Thanks for any thoughts.</p>

<p>Like you, I prefer manual focusing when shooting macro. I have never felt the need to upgrade from the original EF 100mm macro. It's plenty sharp on either crop or FF, and with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 focus "pops" in and out very accurately.<br>

I haven't shop prices but $150 doesn't sound bad at all for one in mint condition.<br>

JD</p>