Mamiya double cable release

shannon_thetford

<p>New here and very new to film photography. I just purchased a Mamiya RZ67 Proii with 90mm lens. I also purchased a Mamiya double cable release but have been doing some reading and now think that I should have went with just the lens one. So here is my question, can i use the double cable but just attach the cable that goes to the lens and use it the same way as a single cable release?</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>Yes. You could certainly use one side of a double cable release, just as you describe.</p>

<p>A lot of us use just a single cable with our RZs, which is the same thing. With the cable release screwed into the socket on the lens, you trip the mirror with your finger using the button on the camera front. Then you wait a second, and trip the leaf shutter in the lens, using the cable. I guess having a double cable release just makes it a bit faster and less fiddly.</p>

<p>Welcome to photo.net, by the way. When you've got some scans back, hang up some of your work here. Good luck.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Agree absolutely! I have one but never use it and prefer to use the method Dave uses. I found that I also prefer using a short (18inch) air release rather than a cable as I feel it to be less likely to cause vibration due to the friction within the cable and also tends to be with constant use more reliable.<br /> They do come up on e-bay as short releases from time to time. The cheapest and lightest (plastic at camera end) ones are best!<br>

Don't pay more that about $10 (US) for a second hand minty and check also 'pneumatic release'</p>

<p>I have a double and single and mainly use the single. The double comes in handy when shooting people casually. When you squeeze, the mirror slaps up and the people relax thinkihng you shot them. Then when they are relaxed, you squeeze a little more getting the shutter to capture the real pose you wanted. Just people being themselves.</p>

<p>The double release makes things much easier for long exposures and it's not a pain to use even for short non-candid scenes. There is a pin <em>inside</em> the socket that must be depressed... not just the outer silver release... in some situations (I think it's T with mirror lock-up). I wasted half a roll one night trying to figure out why I couldn't get a long exposure with just one cable in the lens (mirror lock-up) and using my finger on the shutter button.</p>