D800 + 85 1.8G focus?

clive_murray_white

<p>Hi all - I regularly use my D800 for low light indoor events, ISO 3200 + 85 1.8G takes very nice pictures but......................occasionally it decides, for reasons best known it, that it doesn't want to focus and then won't take the picture. Strangely if I give it a few moments to makeup its mind it works fine. Anyone got any ideas about what's happening or what can be done to make it behave itself properly? Thanks.</p>

<p>For low light photography, using only the center AF points that are cross type will give you the most accurate and most consistent AF.</p>

<p>You may want to leave 51 points active but only use the center 3 columns which are the only ones that are cross type (15 AF points). When you have only 11 points displayed, only 3 of the displayed AF points (the 3 in the center) are the cross type.</p>

<p>Thanks Elliot and Shun, in both of your comments I found myself suspecting that there was something fundamental about focus of the D800 that I'd not grasped..............coming to Nikon from a Leica M8 where none of these intricacies came into play................both my 50 and 85 1.8Gs do the same thing occasionally, so I reasoned that it was an attribute of their cheapness, never happens on 20, 24, 180 or even the 24-85 3.5-4.5 (which is also pretty cheap) but a quick search found a nice explanation of it all from Mr Rockwell, so there's a button in the middle of the AF/M switch! and there I found all of Nikon's ingenious focus variants. And what is more, once set on a less general setting I found it impossible to make the lens decide not to take a picture - so thanks a lot.<br>

Eric - I did try AF-C but didn't enjoy it - but maybe I'll get used to that too.......one day</p>

<blockquote>

<p>so there's a button in the middle of the AF/M switch!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are talking about the switch that doesn't really do anything itself. You hold it down to unlock (the settings) and you rotate the main and sub-command dials to control the different AF settings.</p>

<p>Clive, as we discussed recently, reading the entire Nikon owner's manual is not very realistic, unless you really have a lot of time in your hands. However, you have the D800 Quick Guide, right? That is a pretty small booklet and hopefully has the essential basics. In particular, I would go over the Custom Settings (in the Manual Guide section). It helps to be at least aware of which custom options are available.</p><div>00dQSU-557920084.jpg.7d1bb8a45291338ccdf56badade2e54e.jpg</div>