om d em1 live view and no menu

hellobob

<p>All of a sudden my Olympus omd em1 only shows a live view, nothing in viewfinder and shutter won't shut nor will menu show nor can I do anything whatsoever with the camera. I can remove lens with no problem but cannot use the camera at all. <br>

Help wanted!</p>

<p>Yes, Jerry, I took the battery out with no change.<br>

Is there a two button reset to return camera to factory settings?<br>

Very frustrating as body is just a bit older than one year!<br>

Not a good statement for Olympus.</p>

<p>Or you could try ringing Olympus - that's what I did when my E-M1 starting acting funky. They suggested a reset which worked perfectly, although it was accessed through the menu system which it seems you can't do. Ring them anyway, they should be able to suggest a solution.</p>

<p>Thanks, Anthea, but I am unavailable to phone at the moment. I emailed Oly and they suggested removing batt and lens then putting batt back in with lens off and starting. No success. They say now I must send for repair. Pretty bad situation for a body that's just a bit over one year old without excessive use. NOT a good commentary on Olympus build quality. Knowing what repairs usually cost,I am assuming1/3 price of body!</p>

<p>Thanks, Jerry: just a bummer that omd em1 should croak after bit over one year of use. I assume warrantee is only 1 year. Probably did not even hit shutter more than 2500-3500 times.<br>

This should not happen so quickly and with little use.<br>

The fee you mention is somewhat palatable unlike usual Nikon repairs.</p>

<p>The failure in this case is probably unrelated to how much you have used the camera (shutter operations), this behaviour is typical for electronic devices unlike mechanical devices. I'd try pressing Oly to repair it at their cost even though it's probably outside the warranty period.</p>

<p>Yes, I agree with you Wayne, it probably has to do with the electronics but my point was with little use, this should not happen.<br>

I tend to doubt Olympus will acquiesce and repair at 'their cost' but I'll certainly try.</p>