What I do when it Rains

<p>It's a very tidy Minolta SR-1, this example dating from about 1961, having had the bracket added to the front for attaching the accessory selenium light meter, one of which I have stashed away somewhere. The SR-1 was actually the second Minolta SLR, being a downgraded version of the SR-2 which was the first; it was all a sort of marketing excercise on the part of Minolta, which I may go into in greater length in a future post. Anyway, I have a SR-3 and a SR-7, and it's great to get one of the earlier models.</p>

<p>These cameras were created when men were men and weight was of no concern; the delightful Minolta polarizing filter that arrived with this one weighs almost as much as my pocket digital camera, all brass and heavily chromed. Even the UV filter is built in the same style, while the trendy snake chain (renowned for it's ability to remove the short hairs from the back of one's neck) is no lightweight. However, I like my camera heavy, so this all suits me just fine. Though I probably won't use the snake chain... The lens is the 35mm Auto W. Rokkor HG f/2.8; these early Rokkors are very fine lenses though the later versions had far better coatings. Overall, it's a very well-constructed and solid camera. I just thought you might be interested to see how I spend a rainy day.</p>

<p>I often find myself cleaning, tinkering, or replacing seals on old cameras on rainy days as well, Rick. I have a newly acquired RB-67 that needs all new seals in line for the next rainy day. That is, if I can find a table strong enough to hold it up. ;-)</p>

<p>I've always thought that Minolta made some of the best looking gear, especially the models with the name in the older script font. Your SR-1 seems to be a tidy example, no surprise with you. That snake chain reminds me of a metal/elastic watch band I had once that religiously ripped the hairs off of my wrist. </p>

<p>One question for you. Do you use a light tent on your camera pictures? I've always been impressed with the lighting in your shots you post here.</p>

<p>I don't know what I would do with a rainy day. We generally get a storm come through and then wait a couple of weeks for the next one. When the usual rainfall is 4 inches per year and you are in drought conditions you don't get much camera collecting and cleaning done.</p>

<p>This looks like a nice example. Minolta seemed to be rather conservative in their designs. Even the SRT series is what you would think an SLR should look like. The thing I like about Minolta is that their equipment is reliable and the current prices are affordable to us collectors. I have 6 Minolta SLR's. Two are SRT-101's and 4 are XE-7's. I need to diversify.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm pleased to hear that camera maintenance on a rainy day is fairly common among our members; today is even more dismal so I may just continue. That's a<em> dry</em> area you live in, <strong>Marc</strong>; at least fungus shouldn't be a problem! Minolta and Yashica went neck and neck with their designs in this era, good solid SLR's, and I frequently pick one or another up in error.</p>

<p>Regarding the lighting, <strong>Cory</strong>, for these camera pics I usually work with one large overhead softbox, perhaps one additional accent light and a variety of reflectors/deadeners. I find tented light a little flat, for my taste. Good luck with the RB. Thanks for your input, <strong>Mike</strong> and <strong>Charles</strong>.</p>

<p>A rainy day in En Zed....don't believe it! Really sweet looking SR, very curved the early Minoltas. The only one that I have is the SRT101, and I think that the SR is the prettier camera. That 35mm 2.8 is a cracker of a lens, have you tried it?<br>

Can't imagine a better way to spend a rainy day than polishing up the odd classic, maybe a glass or two of Glenlivet as well.<br>

The weather here is all South Island at the moment, and I'm looking forward to some sunshine soon.</p>

<p><strong>Tony</strong>, it's miserable to the point of migration here; even cleaning cameras is losing it's charm, with a worse day promised for tomorrow . "3 degrees, snow lowering to 100 meters"; I might <em>have</em> to broach the Glenlivet. Yes, the SR series are more graceful than the SRT's, though I really like the purposeful appearance of the SRT line. I have a later version of the 35/2.8, but I'm looking forward to trying this one. <strong>Peter</strong>, that's not bubblewrap, it's very expensive EPNS foil I have artfully crumpled to look like bubblewrap...Keep your cameras, please.</p>

<p>Well I will have to sell some of them anyway (gee THANKS, Rick...) to buy some EPNS foil and then to get lessons in artful folding (and to find out what EPNS is).<br>

All jokes aside, what a handsome beast you have there, and what a thoroughly enjoyable post. Some of these older cameras almost look like the high speed low drag purified versions of their later siblings.<br>

I think it would be awesome if you posted a bit of a before and after one of these days (I am not sure if you haven't in the past), when you get a real war orphan of a camera and after you work your magic on it, perhaps a bit of how to - although I am sure most of it is just patience and attention to detail - but I am sure we would all love to pick up some trade secrets. All your cameras look beautiful and lovingly brought back to a better than new splendor!</p>

<p><strong>Peter</strong>, I'll have to admit that I no longer buy cameras that are seriously worn, scratched or damaged. I can manage minor paint and scratch repairs, but dents and breakages are usually beyond me. I'm pretty good at cleaning and cosmetic restoration, and fixing minor mechanical and lens problems, but all you'd see if I posted "before" images would be a dirty camera. Of course, I have many cameras that don't warrant the time and trouble of photographing and featuring on CMC Forum, and there are some sad specimens in that collection. I actually started out about 5 years ago with the idea of doing a "Classic Camera Calendar", using the best cameras I could lay hands on, but I've never got round to, though the approach lingers.</p>

<p>Regarding the "EPNS", it's stuck in my mind since my childhood washing of my parents cutlery; these letters were stamped into the back of the spoons and forks and apparently stands for "Electro Plated Nickel Silver". Don't pay <em>too</em> much attention to my nonsense about the foil, though...</p>

<p>I always learn so much from your posts - and I am sure that even a camera cleaning post would probably teach many of us a great deal, it is kind of integral to the whole old camera experience. But I certainly understand what you're saying. And I think you need a special award for putting up with my (what I refer to as) humour (although I have been assured by many that I use that word, but people question if I know what it actually means). And without a shred of jest, and I am sure I am not the only one who shares this sentiment, your posts have not only taught me a great deal but also inspired me to attempt things I would probably never try - take my "lens repairs" from a few years back for example. So whatever time you have to devote to this, and whatever drives you to do it, I thank you for it.<br>

And now I added EPNS to the list of things I did not know before and now I do:)</p>

<p>Aw, shucks... Thanks<strong> Peter</strong>. <strong>JDM von Weinberg</strong> once remarked that the completion of a post has it's own sort of scholarly satisfaction and is a reward in itself; appreciative responses are just icing on the cake. So, thanks for a generous dollop of icing...</p>

<p>I missed JDM's departure from the forums, he was another gentleman with a remarkable wealth of knowledge and very generous with his time and efforts to share them with us. I understand that a very small minority was vocal enough to cause him to wash his hands of the whole endeavor...the internet can do that to a person, truly too bad as we are all poorer for it. </p>

<p>It took a while for them to grow on me, but I rate my later SRT101s very highly, now. Their earlier models are also superb looking cameras, as you have once again demonstrated so well, Rick. Thanks for another enjoyable and, as always, interesting post, mate. ;)</p>

<p>Yes, I miss JDM's informative posts. Right now, you lot, with a dedication to imaging from these relics, seem to be the most interesting. The Leica forum is pretty quiet.<br>

On a related tack, I do like a bit of microcrystalline wax on chrome that has a slightly dodgy substrate. It does have the advantage of improving (hiding) the cracks while sealing off the corrosion layer, while still removable with solvents.</p>

<p>Yes, Rick, like the Renaissance wax, although that dries very quickly, & tends to create a white deposit on some surfaces, but maybe not on metal, or I suppose you can rub away the excess.<br>

There is a Beckett's wax with and without the polyethylene wax additive in Renaissance, that is much softer. It is made in Western Australia, & has a more creamy consistency. I use that more generally. I have an email from them only a few months ago which I can't find, or I would pass on info.<br>

I used some the other day on a Contax D (I think, or S; it's at the workshop) and it made it respectable again. The East German chrome tends to look a little thin like the silver on your EPNS spoons.</p>

To Rick and anyone interested:

"Extract from email from MC wax supplier mentioned.<br /> I would prefer to supply direct. We are cheaper as he does tend to put on a large margin also.<br /> The bronze/ferrous is of a higher melt temp and without the PE wax which has been proven to polymerize with excessive UV exposure. <br /> <br /> We still make some coloured waxes and also a burnishing wax which contains a superfine abrasive 5 microns max. I have also been making a black patina wax which contains a superfine black iron oxide and is used on raw steel. Some architects have started using it for a special finish on heritage buildings, and it is also good for blackening metal tools. <br /> our retail price is $32.50 for 200 gm plus postage via Aus Post <br /> <br /> If you want to sell the wax at your workshops I would discount for you an a carton purchase of 24 units.<br /> <br /> Our method of payment is by EFT on receipt of our proforma invoice.<br /> <br /> best regards and <br /> I look forward to hearing from you <br /> <strong>Evan Thomas <br /> Beckett's Products <br /> Unit 4 6 Adams St <br /> O'Connor 6163<br /> Western Australia<br /> Mob 0403 255 100<br /> Email "Evan Thomas" <</strong><strong> beckett@iinet.net.au> "<br /><br /> </strong>