Old images render so well in current software

<p>There's something to it (improvement in default processing by, say, Adobe products), but I think Jos is also correct: the improvement in my own software (the meat computer type) has made shorter work of improving older images files with which I used to struggle. </p>

<p>What Jos and Matt say; improvements happen across the board. I am not using Lightroom, but for sure newer versions software (and switching software) has given some old(er) files a new lease of life. To me, it's one of the biggest advantages of shooting a raw format - the software development goes on, while the "jpeg engine" in a camera is fixed in time.<br>

But - the difference between a old raw file and current one remains big enough to make the occassional look at a new camera a very forgiveable activity. Technology has marched on.</p>

<p>I agree with you both. I suppose it is easy to 'forget' how much we all needed to learn, and indeed forget, to switch from film to digital. Still I am pleased my 5D and 7D both seem to get better with age and I am extremely grateful to those that have developed software that does such a good job.</p>

<p>Yeah, I've noticed in PSCC current ACR the "highlight" and "shadow" sliders can get an amazing amount of image information from the raw file, even my old D70 files, even to the point of looking like a HDR produced image.</p>