Rechargeable watch batteries for Canon EF ("black beauty")?

<p>I just picked up a "new old" Canon EF "black beauty" for $40. It's in perfect condition: no light leaks, no deteriorated foam, immaculate shutter, battery works, meter works, very minimal brassing if at all, etc. It's actually my first film camera. I'm wondering if the seller got it off some estate sale where it was just sitting in a box for 38 years without ever being used. It certainly looks like it.<br>

<br />My only question is: does such a thing exist as a rechargeable watch battery for the two battery slots? I bought some 303/357 1.5v watch batteries with some wrap-around wire as spaces and was able to get everything to work fine but even in the "off" position the camera chewed through these batteries in a day!<br>

<br />I don't want to spend as much on batteries as I spend on film, so are there rechargeable options? <br />If there aren't, what kind of portable light meters are you all using? Initially I did pull out my digital 1d to check the metering and it wasn't always the same between the 2 cams even at the same ISO, aperture, and shutter speeds.<br />Anyhow, stoked about getting this cam. Just need to get a decent battery solution so I can continue through my first roll of 24 and see how they come out!</p>

<p>The EF is one of my favourites! Beautiful camera, many unique features (at least in terms of the Canon line up - ie the vertical travel shutter), and just one of those cameras that to me "looks right". Congrats, you will find very few things that EF would not be able to do for you.<br>

As far as the battery drain goes - I would suspect the wire spacers or something in your arrangement is causing a slight short - the slow drain is not really typical, I find the batteries in mine last a very long time. And I can defintiely confirm the camera DOES HAVE voltage compensating circuitry, so even though it was built around the now unavailable mercury cells, it works just fine with modern 1.5v batteries. I would obtain the right cells that fit correctly without any additional modifications and see how that goes. I believe the 625A batterires are the direct replacement. They are very inexpensive and last a long time once you figure out what's causing your battery drain.<br>

<br />Also - and please forgive me if you already know this - it is imperative to make sure the camera is turned off properly - the little lever on the back of camerahas to be moved into the OFF position WITH the film advance pushed forward into its "stowed" position. You will notice (if you haven't already - again apologies ifyou have) that this locks the film advance forward. Then, when you turn the camera on, the lever springs back into its "ready" position.<br>

I have never checked this, but it is my belief that the camera is not truly OFF, regardless of what that switch says, unless the lever is stowed in such fashion.</p>

<p>One caveat - I have heard of battery drain issues on these cameras - I have owned two and have NOT experienced it myself. I wonder if the peculiar sequence needed to truly turn off the camera has contributed to these reports, or if some of these bodies actually did have some kind of battery draining gremlin.</p>

<p>Sorry - as to your initial question, I am not aware of any rechargeable watch-type or button cell batteries.<br>

I think Alkaline batteries can be recharged with varying degrees of success, personally I think that would be more of a science project than a practical solution to anything.</p>

<p>Gosh, what Peter said.</p>

<p>I bought an EF new in 1974 for around $300, a significant sum back then. I still have it. In ten years of 35mm photography, it was the first camera I used which would reliably meter Kodachrome over the widest variety of conditions. </p>

<p>The camera uses bridge circuitry so it will digest 1.5 volt alkaline replacements which Peter suggests, such as the 625a which just drops in without an adapter. I think Vinnic and other vendors sell them for around a dollar or so each. Check Amazon.</p>

<p>Of course, as with any camera, remove the batteries when the camera will not be used for a time. I hope that you have a great time with the camera- it's a classic!</p>

<p>While it is true enough that the EF has a bridge circuit, and thus can use 1.5v batteries, there is a very cheap alternative that works just as well. 675 hearing aid batteries. They are not as big around as the old px625s, but they're about the same thickness. And the diameter difference doesn't really matter, since the battery contacts are springs, and thus keep the batteries centered in their compartments. I use 675 batteries -- without adapters -- on all my cameras that used to use the old px625 batteries, including my EF. They are zinc-air batteries and put out an initial 1.4v, which is close enough to the 1.35v where, even with cameras that are sensitive to voltage differences, this isn't enough to affect the meter negatively. Another benefit to the zinc-air batteries is they have almost the identical discharge profile that the mercury batteries have. It's very long and even until, when the battery reaches exhaustion, voltage drops suddenly. This is completely different from the very peaky discharge profile of alkalines. </p>

<p>The biggest disadvantage to the 675 zinc-air batteries is that they don't last very long. Usually 9 or 10 months. But they're so cheap, who cares? I buy cards of 40 of the 675 batteries at Costco for $10. Yep, 40 cents per battery. Even if you don't have a Costco in your area, a druggist or Wal-Mart or Target or wherever will carry them in cards of five or six, typically for $5-6 or so. So even that way, they're still relatively cheap.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I need to correct my above post. I just bought another EF, but came across an old post where it was mentioned that the EF requires the use of the larger diameter batteries because of the way it picks up the voltage from the battery compartment. So the 1.5v 625s are ideal. But I don't have any at the moment, although I do have a lot of 675s. So I decided to improvise. I cut a thin strip of aluminum foil from a roll and folded it over several times, then trimmed it so it was the right width. Then I wrapped the foil around both batteries and stuffed them down into the battery compartments. That did the trick. It won't work with 675s by themselves, but it works great with 675s that have been wrapped in aluminum foil to increase their diameter.</p>

<p>It was a big relief for me in any case. At last I have an EF that has functioning electronics! Now, we get to see just how rapidly it will consume those 675s.</p>