Canon A-1 --- Mirror Cushion or Not?

<p>Hello Everyone.<br>

I have three A-1's. One is my original 1217XX from early production, and two others added from later years, 3188XX and 4894XX. They have all been CLA'd at one time or another, so I do not have a good "untouched" reference for my question.<br>

Two of these, including my original, do not have a mirror cushion foam strip at the top of the mirror box like the other AE-1 and AE-1 "Program" models do.<br>

On the third A-1, 4894XX, there is a foam cushion strip installed at the top front of where the mirror flips up. The thing of it is, that area is not flat due to the design of the two mirror assembly / frame pieces at that location. As a result, the foam piece itself has a weird "angle" to it, and just doesn't even look right.<br>

Am I correct in my suspicion that the A-1 never used a foam cushion piece to dampen the mirror when it flips up? It appears that the mirror in my non-cushioned bodies does not hit the frame area when the mirror flips up.<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

"My film died of exposure."

<p>If your mirror cushions are completely gone, chances are your A-1s are overdue for a complete light seal overhaul. Jon Goodman's the guy to get them from. His emal is JGood21967@aol.com, his prices are very reasonable, and his installation instructions are the best.</p>

<p>Thanks very much for the response guys. Not only is the one mirror cushion not the right item and the other two are totally missing (old ones removed and never replaced at CLA), and after a closer inspection, one of cameras also did not get the rear door seals replaced, although they DID scrape out the old seals. Fortunately I have not yet shot any film in it. Gotta tell you I will never let that (local repair shop) facility ever touch another camera of mine. And they have a long history of well trained folks. Maybe I got some newbie who didn't know anything and was not supervised. Jeesh. Michael M., thanks for the email address too.</p>
"My film died of exposure."

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi,<br>

<br />Earlier I was changing lenses and noticed a part of the foam mirror cushion was attached to the lens and now there is a small gap (around 1cm) along the strip. Is this problem going to leak in light? <br>

<br />Thanks<br />George<br /><br /><br /></p>