Need Faster UDMA CF Card

shutterbug78

<p>We just bought the new Canon EOS 5DS R Camera and Our CF Cards are too slow for it. We use continual shooting mode a lot. We are using it for Nature and scenic mostly and happy with the cropping tight of Animals in the computer ...The Processing in camera is slow. We will be using the Video option some. I know we need The UDMA CF but what Size & Speed? I saw Lexar has various sizes and a speed of 1066 x. Is this a Reliable Brand or does anyone know a better one? This Camera is a 50 Mb size.</p>

<p>I would recommend shooting in crop mode, as it will shrink the size of the RAWs, and effectively increase your buffer size, especially since you are throwing away the rest of the image (no point in letting the waste slow you down -missing shots). In practical terms though, 1066x is practically the fastest CF card available, as it pretty much saturates the UDMA7 CF bus @ ~160MB/s. Lexar is an excellent brand, and I've always been impressed with their products and reliability.</p>

<p>It sure would be nice if, while shooting in crop mode, you could bump your FPS from 5 to ~7... ah well, gotta leave some room for improvement in the 5Ds2 ;)</p>

<p>Why would you invest in a full-frame, high resolution sensor and then shoot in crop mode? Instead, get the fasteest card that you can buy, or trade it for the excellent 7D MkII.</p>

<p>Do you have an SD card in the other slot? If so, take it out to see if that speeds things up. The camera will only go as fast as its slowest card.</p>

<p>If the animals are rather active, I'd keep shooting<br>

full frame. Crop mode crops for you, whether it's a<br>

usable composition or not. In full frame, even if<br>

the subject is rather off-center, you can still make<br>

a reasonable composition. <br>

<br>

`</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>Why would you invest in a full-frame, high resolution sensor and then shoot in crop mode? Instead, get the fasteest card that you can buy, or trade it for the excellent 7D MkII.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />+1!</p>