Classic Manual Cameras Weekend, June 12, 2015

<p>Here go for the weekend beginning with June 12. As before same posting rules, but an added suggestion: many of us sometimes have more than the usual three photos that we'd like to share. After posting three here, why not consider posting that "fourth" photo on the 365 day thread. <br>

I'll start with three from my Konica TCX that I carried along on early morning cycling.</p><div>00dL2H-557157384.jpg.530b08ce0cee254840b3e53acd47f4a7.jpg</div>

<p>I've discovered that I really like Pan F+ processed in HC110 dilution B. Back when I used Rodinal and the occasional D-76 I often had trouble with holding highlights and frequently rated it at E.I. 25. With the TCX set on its automatic shutter priority and shutter at 1/125 second, most exposures ranged from f8 to f11.</p><div>00dL2J-557157484.jpg.f7e2951d7728d0d112f840df03db1e56.jpg</div>

<p>I am trying to cut back on the photos of buildings as I seem to have posting more of those than anything else. The old TCX, while not nearly as rugged as the T and A series Konica Autoreflexes does have the advantage of running off a single AAA battery. Autoexposure is still accurate on mine, although sometimes the battery holder may not always make full contact leading to overexposure. I think I culled out about five or six shots from a roll of 36 that had that issue.</p><div>00dL2N-557157784.jpg.0c976bd399cc8b3bf8b8169ca027401c.jpg</div>

<p>Some of Brussels weird and wonderful small Art Nouveau houses; pity the small files allowed here since many of them are decorated with uncanny murals of melancholic priestess-like women and gorgeous nude or semi-nude men.</p>

<div>00dLAA-557173884.jpg.c1ee82ef7816fcd9b702313c1e0c6df7.jpg</div>

<p>Ivo, those buildings are lovely. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who sometimes takes a picture with the camera askew. I want to print this one and frame it so the image is straight up. But I couldn't figure out how to manipulate the file to post it that way here, so if you want to see the tree standing straight, you'll have to tilt your head or your screen.</p>

<div>00dLEc-557184184.jpg.0f057f31efa15d3a655afc33c094e3f7.jpg</div>

<p>@<a href="/photodb/user?user_id=1488166">m.c. fitz</a></p>

<p>Thank you for the kind remark. Yes, the Art Nouveau of the Gaelic organic variety is alluring and very seductive. I wish my photos were as interesting as the buildings themselves, but in busy urban environment is very difficult to match the best light with no parked cars in front of the building - this style of architecture doesn't go well with cars at all.</p>

<p>As for the askew framing, it was a simple compositional trick in this case. The building of interest is tall and very narrow, and the houses next to it very bland; the only way to focus the viewer attention was to cut them off thus leaving the Art Nouveau house as the only one fully displayed.<br /> A straight up frame severely cropped in post to achieve a similar effect would have resulted in a weird and inferior image IMO - a town house is part of the urban environment, and cropping the later will leave the house completely out of context.</p>