Minolta Hi-Matic 7s II aperture weird?

<p>Let me see if I can describe this without confusion... The aperture on AUTO seems like many other cameras, except the aperture is closed down to f/16, then as you press the shutter button, the aperture opens up to it's determined setting. Ok, Opposite of normal cameras but it works.</p>

<p>In MANUAL however, the aperture is always at f/8 (unless you have it set to f/11 or f/16) if you have it set to, lets say, f/4 (or whatever larger than f/8) as you press on the shutter button it too opens to the desired aperture setting. This seems weird to me especially at f/1.7, it doesn't quite open all the way, you can still see the edges of the blades, not so much from the back of the camera but definitely from the front.<br>

I know there are a million of these out there, is this how your 7s II works or is mine weird?</p>

<p>The close-down system is needed for SLRs so you can view properly through the viewfinder. No need for a rangefinder.</p>

<p>As I remember the system for high-end Kodak Instamatics, there is a meter movement internal to the camera. As you press the shutter release, a spring brings a metal plate down, and, depending on which part hits the meter needle, the aperture is set appropriately. You can select the shutter speed, but there is no manual aperture mode, as I remember.</p>

<p>Exactly how you splice in a manual mode isn't so obvious, but it doesn't seem so unreasonable.</p>

-- glen

<p>I think that the behaviour in auto mode is normal. As described, there is a so-called needle trap mechanism which will set the aperture according to the meter needle position. All shutter-priority cameras of the 60s and 70s have this kind of mechanism. <br>

In manual mode, however, the aperture should follow the manual settings. Some years ago I tinkered on Hi-Matics and one of their clones (Revue 400SE). As far as I remember, the aperture dial has a cam follower mechanism which sets the aperture. This cam follower has a spring pressing the cam against a rotating wedge. If this spring is broken, out of order or if the mechanism is gummed up this will not work. <br>

Fortunately the Hi-Matics (and their clones) are pretty simple to tinker on. Remove the self-timer lever. Remove the leatherette on both sides of the lens. There is a lens base plate held by four screws. After seperating the lens plate you have to remove the shutter/lens assembly with a spanner wrench. This gives you access to the rear of the shutter/aperture assembly.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>thanks for the reply's. I'm familiar with the 'needle trap' auto system, several of my cameras have it including it's big brother, the 7s.<br>

someone on another forum, who owns one of these said, the action for manual is normal, just the aperture not opening all the way on f/1.7 is wrong. going to try Naptha and cleaning the blades and try to get at the linkage from the top but I'm not going to do a full tear down of the front, it works good enough for me (will probably never even use f/1.7) and it is in near mint condition so I don't want to chance screwing it up to gain probably 1/2 of an f-stop</p>