553ELX Palpas?

BernardMiller

<p>I just picked up a second hand 553ELX, a 1994 model, for a very reasonable price. The camera seems in nice condition cosmetically, certainly. However, when examining the camera more closely to determine if it is a keeper, I noted that there did not seem to be any of the (cursed in some quarters) palpas covering the interior of the camera body that I expected to see.</p>

<p>The rear auxiliary shutter curtains do have a layer of palpas on them, but the interior of the camera body appears to be simply matte black painted metal. I can see no signs whatsoever that there was ever anything attached over this, or that anything has been removed/scraped or crumbled away. I've searched all over for photos of what the interior of the camera should look like, but haven't found any to compare to my camera.</p>

<p>Is this normal and proper? Should all 553ELX's have palpas covering the interior, or by this point in production did Hasselblad realise there were problems with it? Or is there a possibility the palpas was removed--and if so, is this something that I should be very concerned about? Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hi, Evan. I managed to find out the situation by contacting the very helpful David Odess. Despite a few people here on PN stating that the 553ELX came with the palpas covering on the interior of the camera body chamber, it apparently actually did not.</p>

<p>Here is what he had to say about the matter:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Most, if not all of the 553 ELXs did have the Palpas material on the two auxiliary shutters, like yours does.<br /><br />Regarding the Palpas material on the inner walls: I have serviced many 553 ELX camera bodies, and I don't remember ever seeing one with the Palpas material on the inner walls of the camera body. I suppose it is possible that some of the 553 ELXs did have the Palpas material on the inner walls of later production models, but I'm just not sure. The camera bodies that do have the Palpas material on the inner walls, like [the] 503 CX, have a slightly different cover on the right hand, inner wall. It would be impossible to remove the Palpas material from the inner walls of the camera body without destroying the thin, aluminum cover that the Palpas material was attached to. So you can rest assured that your camera body never did have the Palpas material on the inner walls. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>HI Bernard,</p>

<p>I saw your reply. I don't really remember which cameras was where Hasselblad started using the palpas as an anti-reflective coating internally (?). Might had been form the mid 1990s. I vaguely remember hearding about, but never pursued what it was all about.</p>

<p>Guess U will have to more alert now, when buying any of the bodies...</p>

<p>Thanks for providing the details form David Odess.</p>