Pentax 67ii tripod mount thread and head question

<p>Seems to me that according to the numerous discussions abounding on the net, my recently-acquired Pentax 67ii may be under-gunned wrt the tripod mount setup. Is the 1/4" standard size thread adequate to hold the camera still (and I mean STILL) when mirror and shutter go "thwacklannnng" (luv the ring of that spring sound!). The Mammies and the Blads both have a 3/8" solution which I have always taken advantage of.<br>

Does anybody know if there is a 3/8" fix? Can I get further by unscrewing the little screwed in panel surrounding the socket? Given its reputation and the fact that it already had several predecessors I figure it would have been easy to build the usual 3/8" for overkillers like me, and insert the 1/4" option for universality.<br>

The reason I ask is that I have an old great 3 way foba head just itching to hold down a P67 and AFAIC tell it comes with a non removable 3/8" thread only, and I don't really want to add any extra interfaces (but I guess I may have to if neither end has a fix).<br>

On the subject of heads, do you P67 users have any consensus on which others are adequately big and solid and up for solidifying the 67? <br>

Many thanks for any helpful info.<br>

Martin</p>

<p>Agree. My Mamiya RZ have a 3/8" thread permanently attached with the original 1/4" adapter, which I use on my plate. I don`t think you really need a bigger one.<br /> I use old Gitzo off-center ball heads (sereis 3 and series 5), as well as an Arca Swiss B2. These are way more than enough for the load. Also a Manfrotto 510, which I don`t know if it is considered good enough for medium and LF cameras, but works for me (in fact, I love it).</p>

<p>So much of the alleged vibration in the MLU and later P67s was post-exposure clatter from the mirror dropping back into place. As noted above, just lock-up the mirror at 1/60 or slower.</p>

<p>The big Manfrotto hex plate works fine and costs less than similar Arca-style plates. The real problem with the 67 on almost <em>any </em>tripod is the large mass shift off center when the camera is moved into portrait orientation. Unless you move a leg under the camera, you risk tipping over on anything less than a girder-like tripod at full extension. I barely saved mine on several occasions. That, among other things, sold me on the Mamiya RB 67 Pro S with its rotating back.</p>

<p>The big Pentax is a sweet camera with great glass. It just requires a few easy precautions and a bit of mindfulness.</p>