Shutter speed issues while using Nikon Df with Pocket Wizard´s TT1 and Flex TT5

maria_d_torres

<p>When I use my Nikon Df camera with my Nikon D900 flash and the Pocket Wizard system (Mini TT1 and Flex TT5) I can´t raise my shutter speed more than 30s because it will not sync the flash. I also have a Nikon D700 (With the same settings as the Nikon Df) and with the D700 I do can use faster speeds. Any idea than can enlighten me on how to solve this problem? Thanks</p>

<p>I assume you mean 1/30th of a second, not 30 seconds.<br /><br />You should be able to to up to 1/250th or whatever the top sync speed is on the body the same as if the flash were directly attached. What happens when you simply slide the flash into the hot shoe? Sounds like something set wrong in the custom settings in the menu on the body. I only use regular PW's not the TT's so not sure what settings they might have that could cause an issue, if any.</p>

<p>Different cameras use slightly different timing protocols of the signals related to e.g. flash. Thus the advanced third party flash trigger manufactures have to check all functions with every camera. Here is some compatibility information regarding the Df and the Pocketwizard products:</p>

<p>http://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=Nikon_Df</p>

<p>Do you have the latest firmware installed?</p>

<p>I use the DF with SB800/910's in combination with TT5's (not a MiniTT1, but that should not be an issue) and can use the flashes with a shutter speed up to and including 1/250th without a problem.</p>

<p>I would check the firmware of the slaves (for both the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 - Nikon- the latest version is 3.800) and check with the PocketWizard Utility if something maybe has slipped into a weird setting somewhere along the way.</p>

<p>If you don't have any major settings changed (like eg HSS), I would perform a Factory Reset http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/reset_mode/ to be on the sure side</p>

<p><strong> </strong></p>

<p>1/30th? Maybe you mean 1/250th or 1/300th? Nearly all radio slaves (expensive PWs included) introduce a delay of a few hundred nanoseconds (700ns typical). This is enough to cause a dark band at the bottom of the frame if the camera is used at its maximum rated X-synch speed. You usually have to drop the synch speed from 1/320th to 1/250th or 1/200th - depending on the camera. Canons are worse than Nikons in this respect and usually need to be set to 1/160th in order to use radio triggers in straightforward X-synch mode.</p>

<p>Edit: check the flash settings menu options. There's a setting for the default flash speed, whcih operates in program or aperture priority mode. This is the lowest speed that the camera will set when the BI flash is popped up or a compatible flash is fitted into the hotshoe.<br>

Personally I just set this to 1/30th, which is the highest speed you can choose I believe. But when using flash as the sole source of light I prefer to use fully manual mode. Much easier to understand what the camera is doing that way.</p>

<p>did you accidentally lock the shutter speed to 1/30 of a second in the menu?<br /> because you can do that.</p>

<p>menu, wrench thingy, exposure/flash, flash speed</p>

<p>choose ur speed<br>

set it to 1/250th<br /> or lower.</p>

<p>the 1/250th, 1/320th auto fp<br>

is the high speed sync for faster exposures than 1/250th of a second.</p>

<p> </p>