What to See and Do in Vancouver, BC and Seattle?

djphoto

My wife and I plan to be in Vancouver, BC for two days and Seattle for a day in September as we make our way back from a trip to

Alaska. We would welcome any suggestions as to things to see and do (not necessarily photo-related) in those two cities/areas.

<p>Can't really help you out with Vancouver, haven't been up there in decades. The obvious sights to see in Seattle with only one day, would be, Pike Place Market and the Space Needle at the Seattle Center. There are other attractions at the Center, some new(er), some left over from the Worlds Fair in 62. I am assuming you're doing one of the many Alaska cruises, so I'll leave out the suggestion of a ride across the Sound on a ferry and no car for you, so that leaves out some much better sights IMO. Might also help me and others if we knew you guys had a full day and night before you fly out of Sea-Tac. Oh, and a walk along the waterfront and a meal is nice too.</p>

We are thinking about going from Vancouver to Victoria, then taking a ferry to the mainland. Any suggestions about this?

We will arrive late afternoon, stay the night, all the next day, the next night, then drive to Boise the following day. Our hotel

will be near Pike Place Market.

<p>I "think" the only "car ferry" service back the the USA from Vancouver Island now days is from Sidney, through the San Juan Islands to Anacortes. I believe you can do a straight shot through or stop at one or more of the islands. I do not know how customs is dealt with, but Washington State Ferries is sure to have that info on their web site. I used to live on that side of the state but now I live on the East slopes of the Cascades. Since you have a car, you can add to your list of sights to consider; The Aquarium(no car needed), Woodland Park Zoo, the Arboretum, both Museums, The Underground Tour(no car needed), that's all I can think of "in Seattle" right now. Is your return trip home via I-90/I-82/I-84 locked in stone? Seattle to Yakima via Chinook Pass is MUCH more scenic and will take you through a corner on Mt. Rainier NP. </p>

<p>Hello Dave,<br>

We currently live in Vancouver, BC. A list of popular sites in the city are:<br>

Granville Island: Granville Island is right next to downtown. Full of artist studios (paint, glass-makers, metal shops, wood working shops) pubs/breweries, and restaurants. But the most popular feature is the Public Market. Lots of fruit/veg vendors, cheese makers, bakers, specialty meats plus a food court. Great place to grab a quick lunch and eat by the water and watch the boats cruise by.<br>

Stanley Park: largest temperate rainforest in an urban area in the world. 1,001 acres. Fantastic walk around the seawall. Will take about 2 hours. Great views of the city.<br>

Capilano Suspension Bridge/Treetop Walk: Shows a bit of the rugged landscape of BC. Its an impressive walk across the ravine and the tree walk is pretty cool. As similar experience (albeit not as dramatic) is Lynn Canyon. <br>

Neighborhoods near downtown:<br /><br />Yaletown: Lots of bars and restaurants. The current trendy area.<br />False Creek: Where Granville Island is located. <br />Coal Harbor: <br>

Vancouver is a foodie town. We have LOTS of restaurants/cafe's. Vancouver Magazine has a list of "winner" restaurants. Or let me know what kind of food you're looking for, I'll be happy to throw a few places your way.<br>

As for Seattle, there was a recent show with Anthony Bourdain called "They Layover" that did an episode on Seattle. It was a fair representation of places we liked.<br /><br />Have a great trip! <br>

Cheers.<br>

David.</p>

<p>Dave. I've photographed in both cities though I don't have much to add on Vancouver . Seattle- I've had a number of short stays and IMO there are two things that stand out. First the view from Kerry Park, which involves driving north up the hill that starts north of the Space Needle. Its not hard to find or reach with a regular street map though I'd drive not walk. The second is Frank Gehry's EMP Building. There's parking lots across the street, and its worth walking slowly round more than once because the changing light brings up different colours and patterns. You can also get interesting juxtapositions between this building and the Space Needle. </p>

<p>For my money, both of these beat Pike Place, where I've been several times and don't really get, and other "old" districts like Pioneer Square. If you like skylines and boat trips you might like to take the boat to Bainbridge Island early or late in the day.</p><div>00dIWu-556829884.jpg.dca9a775a310288a56aa880940fc34be.jpg</div>

<p>We live in "greater" Vancouver, albeit out in the suburbs. David Wong's given you lots of great ideas. Just to throw in a few more:</p>

<p>Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden, downtown.</p>

<p>Out at University of British Columbia (UBC): Nitobe Gardens (Japanese) and the UBC Museum of Anthropology. These two quite close to each other. Both a bit of a drive though, out at Point Grey.</p>

<p>Bring along plenty of $ for parking, wherever you go in Vancouver, especially the city proper. The last few decades have seen a steady escalation in the price and ubiquity of pay parking. Same thing for admission to most any of the venues. Sad really, I don't like to dis' my (adopted) home town, but...</p>