Canon Fd 300mm 5.6

korin

<p>This is the SC version with breech lock. It is not internal focusing the tube moves. So it seems not unusually it has haze and fungus. I could bin it. I could dismantle it before i bin it! I don't know the structure of this lens. Looks like the problem is at both ends. So where to start. If i'm going to need special tools should i just give up. Advice would be welcome. Will it take photos anyway. What will i see on photo if its affecting the image. I think that's enough questions!</p>

<p>The affects are reduced contrast and the resulting reduction in sharpness and increased flare. Not a great lens to begin with. </p>

<p>If you are into Canon FD glass I'd take it apart for the heck of it to learn how to fix the aperture and focus mechanisms, to apply to other lenses, and then "bin" it as you say. Keep track of everything and make notes, even photograph along the way. I would attempt to re-assemble it for a learning experience.</p>

<p>Starting at the rear does not require special tools, just a set of small screwdrivers. For the front I would assume that you will need a spanner wrench to remove the various lens retaining rings. Once inside I do not know if there are other tools you would need.</p>

<p>Cleaning fungus and haze is something I have never done and it sounds quite difficult.</p>

<p>Have fun with it.</p>

<p>If the haze & fungus aren't prominent, you could certaunly use the lens, especially if you use it with a len hood to reduce flair. As John stated, you can generally expect reduced contrast, and depending on where the haze and fungus is located, a reduction in sharpness. Usually the negative effects are more pronounced if the rear elements are affected, and less pronounced if the front elements are affected. Although I occasionally reference a Canon lens repair manual, your lens isn't mentioned in it.</p>

<p>I just cleaned a Canon FL 200mm F3.5 I got off ebay as a junker.<br>

With some of these old lenses like this the entire front barrel will unscrew off the body of the lens with the front elements intact. Thats the easy part.<br>

My 200mm FL has a single slotted set screw in the side and if you loosen that the entire front assembly unscrews. <br>

I disassembled it from the front down to the aperture, then took the mount off the back and got some of that assembly out of the way and removed the rear group and cleaned the exposed the aperture without removing it.<br>

I really pulled my hair out on this one, because it was difficult to figure out how it came apart. <br>

Just prior I had cleaned a Mamaiya 135mm F2.8 which is easy by comparison and a nice lens and it was much easier to take apart. Similar in that the entire front barrel unscrews. <br>

I did learn one thing. I dont want to work on any Canon FL lenses. <br>

Be cautious if you remove the rear silver ring because apparently some lenses have ball bearings under the ring. Mine did not.<br>

You might want to watch a few of this guys videos. Your lens is not on there, but you might find some useful info.<br>

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC89vHLITb7DWKe07_hSWYBw</p>

<p>Thanks people. I think will take it apart at a basic level as per the video Troy-135 canon-which looks identical. Will see if cleaning basic lenses i can get at simply improves the look. A learning experience which may only have this as an outcome! Come to think of it isn't that how most things start. Please no answers! I know this isnt a particularly good lens-paid $15 in thrift/charity shop- but if i clean it up maybe someone else can get some use. Rather than chucking it. </p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I have 2 copies that are mint and when i was doing a manual focus 70-200 ish zoom shootout i try them out and find that although they are 100 mm longer they did not quite match the best zooms at reading my test targets at 200 yards.. a bit disappointing ...so what i am saying may not be worth spending too much time on it.....unless like me you like fixing things</p>

• 9 months later...