Canon "Passed" Sticker Removal

kc_madsen

<p>I just acquired a mint condition Canon AE-1P. It still has the passed sticker on it and I would like to remove it, but I'm afraid it will leave a mark. Has anyone else been able to remove one of these without leaving a mark? This is the chrome version of the AE-1P not the black. I know some people say the camera is more valuable with the sticker on, but to me they were packing material that should have been removed when new.<br /> KC</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Personal opinion is it won't leave any marks.<br />I've bought used Canon FDn lenses that had the little passed stickers half flipped up, etc...removed them without leaving any residue.<br />Worst case, barely dampen the end of an an old washcloth with WD40 and it'll wipe any residue right off...even easier in your case since you're not dealing with any (black) color under it on your AE1.</p>

<p>In some cases, the paint under the former location of the "PASSED" sticker will be slightly darker and shinier than the enamel that has been exposed to ambient conditions. More rarely, chrome under the label will be darker, too. Only way to tell, is take it off. Like <em>Schrödinger's cat</em> you can't tell until you make the action so.</p>

<p>Nothing that I know of in the taking off of it will make any difference since it has already happened, or not....</p>

<p>This is the sort of problem that keeps me awake at night. And why can't I get Goof Off in the UK?</p>

<p>I yearn for the good old pre-digital days when you could buy these stickers on a roll, to stick on your equipment and make it look new and unused.</p>

<p>OK, so 3 responses indicating there probably wont be a mark left gave me enough confidence to give It a go. I got the corner lifted and then put a piece of scotch tape over it to help pull it off. There was glue residue left behind so I used WD40 as Bill C advised. Cant tell it was ever there. It wasn't the glue I was really worried about, it was the possibility that the chrome would be discolored from being covered for 30+ years. Came out looking like a brand new camera--- minus stickers! Thank for the responses guys!<br>

KC</p>

John Seaman , Apr 14, 2015; 05:04 p.m.

This is the sort of problem that keeps me awake at

night. And why can't I get Goof Off in the UK?

I yearn for the good old pre-digital days when you

could buy these stickers on a roll, to stick on your

equipment and make it look new and unused.

I just bought a used Canon 2x-b extender. It looks mint.....the sticker that is.

Must be one of your "passed" stickers on a roll. :)

<p>John - "And why can't I get Goof Off in the UK?" . All I can tell you is it's highly volatile, carcenogenic, and exposure can cause neurological disorders - you could probably mix something similar by mixing some acetone & xylene from a paint store (I don't think it has any methyl-ethyl-ketone in it, but that works also).</p>

<p><strong><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=8538047">Gary D</a>, Apr 17, 2015; 08:23 p.m. I can't believe it....No WD-40 mentioned !! :)</strong></p>

<p><strong>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /></strong></p>

<p><strong>:)</strong><em><strong><br /></strong></em><br>

<em><strong>"...barely dampen the end of an an old washcloth with WD40 and it'll wipe any residue right off..."</strong></em></p>

<p> </p>